1.03.2013

Book Review: "The Fault in Our Stars"

I have officially finished my first book of 2013! And oh, what a book it was. I'm sure most of you have heard about "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. After all of the hype, I decided to make it my first read of the year. 


To sum up the plotline, TFIOS is about two teenagers that fall in love. Sounds typical, right? Well, the twist is that both of these teenagers (Hazel and Augustus) have cancer. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it, so I will leave the specifics of their situations out. 

I have read plenty of "sad books" that involve death, sickness, and lost love. I can honestly say though, that this one is different. This book shows the raw emotions that these characters have to deal with. John Green wants his readers to see the effects of cancer that aren't typically mentioned because people find them to be upsetting, or "offensive." We become so attached to his characters because we actually begin to understand them emotionally and physically. 

There is also something about Green's language and way of writing that make the story so meaningful. It is an easy read, but still beautifully worded. He incorporates ideas and influences of past writers and thinkers into the story. The book is full of quotes and moments that make you tear up. I suggest a box of tissues and a secluded place to sit as you read this book! Ha ha. 

This will be a book that I will think about even weeks after today. It makes you look at life in a different way. It is one of the best books I have picked up over the past couple of years. 

Sorry this is so vague, but I really don't want to spoil anything! Have any of you read this? If not, do any of you plan to read it?

Don't forget to check the status on my reading challenge in the "Book Nerds Unite" tab at the top of my blog. :)

Vicky Hunt said...

You know I want to read it....bring it home next time you come!

<3, Mama

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.