1.17.2013

Whining about Work: Let's Talk Dress Code

FYI: This post isn't meant to offend anyone. I'm simply just sharing funny things that I have witnessed in my career thus far. 

I have been wanting to do a post about this for a while, and today just seemed like the perfect day. I'm sure there are quite a few of you out there that work in an office setting, which means that your dress code most likely falls underneath the category of business or business casual. In  other words...professional. 

Sadly, this is typically not the case. Working in an office that houses around 100 people means that I see my fair share of dress code dont's...typically on a daily basis. Now, if you know me, you know that I am not exactly a fashionista. I'm pretty simple in my dress, I'm always going to choose flats over heels, and I go to work with wet hair 3 out of 5 mornings a week. But...I dress for my job. Skirts, dresses, button down shirts...I own them. And I wear them. And it's not even that difficult. 

I just wanted to share my top three business-casual-law-breaking pet peeves. 

1. Yoga pants as dress pants.


Correct me if I'm wrong...but when I look at these I don't think, "Oh, those would be great for work!" I have witnessed more than one woman I work with wearing these with button down shirts and other nice blouses. Really? These are the equivalent of sweat pants. Would you wear sweat pants with heels to a party? I don't think so. Some people hold jobs that allow them to wear anything they please. If that's the case...by all means, wear the yoga pants. They're comfortable...I feel ya. But, if you're required to abide by a dress code, save your yoga pants for the gym.

2. Crocs.

I will never forget the day that I was in the bathroom, and noticed that whoever was in the stall next to me had a pair of these on. And it wasn't even casual Friday. Not that is should be acceptable on casual Friday either. Are these things even legal to wear in public anymore? The worst part...the woman had white socks on with them. 

3. The too-small button down.
Button down shirts are classic. You could wear a different color every day of the week and look completely professional. The trick to them is getting them to fit correctly on every part of your body...particularly if you're a woman. Ladies, it's okay to go up a size or two in order to accommodate all parts of your body. It will save you the embarrassment of losing a button off of the most inopportune area of the shirt.  Don't make a good thing bad!

What are some dress code no no's that you've experienced at work or in other situations? Please share in the comments below!

Tomorrow is Friday! :) Casual Friday...the day it's okay to wear jeans. ;)

RTO said...

Well, just today I saw a lady at her workplace, must be 60 or so, with a shirt that wasn't long enough to cover her midriff. Ewwwwwwwww, definitely didn't look for that.

BTW, the crazy guy I saw on the side of the street the other day, half naked and half wearing an elderly woman-dress, absolutely has to read this post.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.