1.05.2013

Wolfish Adventures

Today, I had the opportunity to do something pretty non-conventional. John and I drove over to the Seacrest Wolf Preserve in Chipley, Florida. Located on over 400 acres of land in rural north Florida, Seacrest serves as a habitat to about 35 wolves, including packs of Gray wolves, British Columbian wolves, and Arctic wolves. Sounds pretty neat, right?

However, the really cool thing about Seacrest, is instead of just observing the wolves, you actually get to interact with them. That's right, you get to enter their enclosures, pet them, give them some love, and if you're lucky, you may even get some wolf kisses. 

Some of you are probably thinking...there is no way I'm going to get anywhere near a single wolf, let alone a pack of them. I was a little nervous too. But after a few minutes, I was completely relaxed. There was no threat there at all. Wolves are very misunderstood, and often stereotyped to be blood thirsty killers. This is obviously not the case. 

Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. I learned a lot, and being able to interact with these animals was one of the coolest things I have ever done. The people that run this preserve are doing such a fantastic thing. 

Unfortunately, cell phones and digital cameras were not allowed in the enclosures, so I don't have any pictures from the experience right now. We were able to use disposable cameras though, so when we get those developed I will be sure to do another post and share! For now, here is a picture of John and I beside one of the signs. 


© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.