1.08.2013

You Can Go Your Own Way

So I don't know about y'all, but this week has been the week that everything has started to really get back on schedule for me. Sure, New Year's was a week ago, but I still didn't really kick exercise and stuff into gear until this week. 

I went for a walk/run today for the first time since a couple of days before Christmas. I really slacked over the holidays. Surprisingly though, I didn't feel like I was having to start all over again. It doesn't seem like much progress was lost. 

I just wanted to devote a post to talking about what I am doing to live a healthier life. This will serve as the introduction to the weekly exercise/healthy eating recap posts that I plan to post at the end of each week. The way I see it, I'm 23 and I'm only going to get older. (Unfortunately, that's the way things work people. :p) I want to know that I'm doing things to help me lead a healthy life. Whatever comes as a result of this (ie: weight loss, etc.) will be great, and viewed as positive, but the ultimate goal is just to be healthy. 

I'm not being extreme about this. This isn't about dropping a million pounds super quick, and then slacking off when I get to a certain weight and eventually becoming even unhealthier than I was before. The point of a lifestyle change is that it benefits your entire LIFE. 

As I've mentioned, I want to run a 5k before the year is over. Therefore, running will serve as my primary form of exercise. Right now I'm still in the beginning phases, so I'm using the walk/run method, but I hope to advance to running long distances by the end of the year. I'm running at least four times a week, but would really prefer to make it five, depending on my schedule. Running, combined with a little strength training (push ups/crunches/sit-ups) will be the basis of my physical activity. 

When it comes to the eating part of healthy living, I don't plan to be one of those crazy calorie counters that only eats like three baby carrots a day. It's about portion control, and knowing limits. My meals normally look something like this:

Breakfast: coffee and a granola bar or piece of 12 grain toast with peanut butter
Lunch: homemade spinach salad with a granola bar/carrot sticks/pretzels/whatever and water
Dinner: Soup, Lean Cuisine, veggie/pasta combination 

Is this a perfect diet? No. Is it a terrible one? Also no. I try to eat an assortment of good things. I try to get my veggies in. I'm not completely cutting carbs from my life, but I'm also not eating pizza for three meals a day. One day, I'm sure I will find another way to eat well, but at this point in my life and budget, this is what is working for me. 

I'm sure I'm not the only person right now who is working to figure out what exercise/food works best in their life. Let's be an encouragement to each other, and work on this together. :)

Post run mirror pic. I'm smiling, so I obviously wasn't feeling too dead. :p

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.