3.28.2013

Facing the Inevitable

I have been realizing something more and more lately. Wait...are you ready for it?

I really am an adult. 

There, I said it. No matter how badly I want to be carefree and void of responsibility, it's not going to happen. Ever again. Because time just doesn't work like that. I'm 23 years old. I'm definitely not a teenager anymore. In fact, I'm not even a student. I'm officially...the "a" word. Yikes.

From my experience, your early 20's are the time period that you can really feel yourself molding into a responsible citizen of society. You're treated with a little more respect, you make your own money, you quickly learn how important your credit score is. Heck, I have even already had an issue with the same grey hair growing back, over and over again. It's depressing.


You know what else? I get asked on a weekly basis if I'm married. Why do I feel like that's such a terribly thing to be asked? I mean, I have friends that have been married for years now. Getting married young is fine, if that's what you want. There's nothing wrong with it. But every time someone asks me that, all I can think is "Marriage? Um...no! I'm only 23 years old!" And then I realize, 23 is a pretty average age to get married. Maybe the most average. Yikes. I'm old enough to get married and it be a socially acceptable thing to do.

Want to know what freaks me out the most though? Let me just give a little recap.

A couple of weeks ago one of my coworkers was standing in the doorway of my office, telling me a story about what a pain in the butt her grown daughters are. I was being friendly and listening, laughing every now and then. She then stops and asks me the question to end all questions.

"Do you have kids?"

Excuse me...what? 

I'm pretty sure my mouth fell open a little. After staring at her with wide eyes for a second I finally said, "Ha ha, no, no kids for me! Not for a while anyway!"

But, what I really wanted to say was, "NO! Of course I don't have kids. I am a kid!"

Of course, that's not true. I don't know why that bothered me so much. People I graduated high school with have kids. Some of them already have two or three. Also, a lot of people my age are trying to have kids. So really, it's not a big deal.

Still though, the rest of that day I was distracted thinking, do I really look old enough to have children? 

Please tell me I'm not the only person who feels that they shouldn't be at this point in their life yet! Ha ha.

Vicky Hunt said...

I'm glad you've finally accepted the reality...:) You think it's hard being 23....try 43 with a 23 year old daughter! ;) Love you....Mama

Brandy said...

Hi, this is Brandy from "Living in the Moment", you sent the request over to place your button on my blog yesterday. It is up and running. Thanks for stopping by. Please, Please enjoy your early twenties. Do not let others pressure you into getting married. While I love my family with all of my heart and wouldn't trade them for anything, some days I do wish I could just hop in the car on a Saturday and just drive to the beach like I could do when I was single. Enjoy your single life, you'll have plenty of years later to enjoy a hubby and kids. Just take each day as it comes! Have a great Easter Weekend!

Miranda said...

Awesome! Thank you so much! Your button has been placed on my blog as well! I look forward to reading more from you and getting to know you!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.