5.10.2013

Songs that Have Changed My Life: Edition 1

I listen to A LOT of music during the week...just like most other people in the world. I listen to music as I drive to work, I listen to it while I'm at work, I listen to it on the way home from work, I listen to it while I shower, I listen to it when I lie down to go to sleep...I even listen to it while I'm cleaning. I would say it's safe to bet that I live at least 10-12 hours of my day with music in the background. In fact, if that was taken away...the world just may end. :p
 
It's no secret that music allows us to experience thoughts and emotions that we may not typically be able to conjure up on our own. I was thinking really hard about this as I was listening to my favorite iHeart radio station in my office today. There are certain songs that have literally changed the way that I think about life; songs that I will never grow tired of. That's why I have decided to devote one post a week to a song that touches my heart, makes me think, or even just makes me smile.
 
For the first edition of this little endeavor, I'm going to share the song that came on the radio in my office and made me think about this today...Dare You to Move by Switchfoot.
 
 
I fell head over heels in love with Switchfoot after watching A Walk to Remember and buying the soundtrack...which they were pretty much responsible for every song on. The first CD of theirs that I bought was The Beautiful Letdown, and I listened to it so much that I could sing every single word and it eventually wouldn't play anymore.
 
Dare You to Move is kind of the stereotypical Switchfoot song to like...but can't you see why? It's very near to my heart for more than one reason. Not only was it one of the first songs that I frequently listened to after I was saved, it was also the song we used for one of my favorite high school guard performances. The song is just so positive, and enlightening. It has always encouraged me to keep going, and "lift myself up off the floor" when I would rather not. I have listened to these lyrics probably thousands of times over the past nine years, and I'm still not even slightly tired of hearing them. They really had it right when they wrote this song. It's perfect.
 
My favorite lines would have to be:
 
Welcome to the fallout
Welcome to resistance
The tension is here
The tension is here
Between who you are and who you could be
Between how it is and how it should be
 
So often in life, we become complacent. We become okay with being mediocre, and we adopt the attitude that failure is inevitable and we may as well accept it. Why do we have to accept that? We have the power to be better than we ever imagined. We have the ability to not only make our own dreams come true, but to make a major difference in the lives of others as well. If we just stop letting the negatives keep us pinned to the ground, we can get up and accomplish anything. We can't let a bad "today" ruin our lives. We truly have to live and believe like, as the song says, "today never happened."
 

Vicky Hunt said...

This made my heart smile...:) And, because I know you would want to know.....typo, paragraph 1....be instead of bet! Love you and can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Love, Mama

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.