5.15.2013

What the Professional World Has Taught Me (Thus Far): Volume 2

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about some of the things that I have learned in the working world so far. Everyday is truly a learning experience, so today I bring you the second volume of what the professional world is teaching me.
 
1. Waking up at 6 AM doesn't get any easier.
There is one thing that 8 to 5-ers dread more than anything on the planet...and that is the sound of an alarm clock. (But, we also love the feel of pushing the snooze button.) Getting out of bed in the mornings is just becoming increasingly more difficult. 6 AM is not friendly.
The positive aspect to this is, I'm slowly perfecting how to take as little time as possible to get ready while also making sure that I don't look like a homeless person. It really is a fine line to walk, but it is certainly possible. Perfecting this art is more than necessary, because if I'm being completely honest, I actually don't get out of bed until around 6:45. Did I mention that I have to leave the house at 7:30?
I have a bad habit of wanting to sit and stare at the wall after getting out of the shower. I have to really force myself not to do that. It's just so darn hard. I love sleep.
 
2. To-do lists are your BFF's.
I would not survive the day without my post-it notes. That is not even an exaggeration. I seriously make at least two different to-do lists every day...one for urgent things that absolutely have to be finished, and one for smaller things that are easier to forget. I also have a separate list to keep track of phone calls that I have to return.
Don't sit there and pretend like you're so awesome that you can remember everything without a to-do list. I refuse to believe it's possible. And, if it is actually doable...please share your secrets with this type-A girl.
 
3. You really do need friends at work.
Just like in any other social setting, you are going to want people you can depend on at the office. We are social beings...obviously. We need people to talk to during the day, whether it's for advice, encouragement, or even a much-needed laugh.
I tend to be a pretty quiet person, and I sometimes have difficulty getting to know people. Now that I have had time to get to know my coworkers, it's so much more comforting to know that I can walk a few steps down the hallway when I need someone to talk to...for whatever the reason may be.
 
4. Casual Friday is not all it's cracked up to be.
Okay, so this is kind of a silly one. I had this conversation with my roommate the other day. Why do we get so excited to wear jeans to work on Fridays? They're tight, they're hot, they feel even worse after lunch...they're overall not fun to sit in for eight hours a day. Yet, we still look forward to casual Friday all during the week, even when we are sitting there wearing nice, flowy dresses and skirts that don't squeeze or hinder in any way. The world may never understand this reasoning.
 
© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.