6.07.2013

5 Things that Make Office Life AWKWARD

For the past nine months, I have spent the majority of my waking hours at work. It doesn't take long to realize that, just like college or high school or any other life situation, some of the circumstances that you find yourself in are just flat out awkward. Here are five things that fluster me more and more every day.
 
1. Getting called the wrong name.
I have been an employee here for over two years now...and nine months of that has been full time. Yet, I am still getting called "Amanda" on a weekly basis. I feel really rude when I have to interrupt someone to correct my name, so as sad as it is, I typically just answer to whatever they come up with. The best part about it? I have a name plate on my door that clearly says "Miranda." What's a girl to do?
 
2. Bathroom conversation.
Come on, you know what I mean. A coworker arrives at the bathroom door precisely as you do, and a friendly conversation begins. You walk in, judge each other if neither picks up one of those sanitary napkins you place over the toilet seat, and then go into stalls next to each other. And the conversation continues...while all that you wanted was a nice peaceful trip to the bathroom.
 
3. The office across the hall.
This is one of my favorites. It's especially great when  the doorway across the hall is not only lined up with yours, but the desks also happen to be in the same position. You see, when this happens, you occasionally look up from your computer at the same time as the person in the other office, and what happens then? Awkward, unintended eye contact. Then you have to make a decision. Do you smile? Or do you make things even more weird and avert your eyes to the wall or floor? Maybe the door should just stay closed. But, then it gets so stuffy. It's a lose/lose situation.
 
4. Over-sharers.
I'm all for having friends at work, and even having conversations on a personal level. What gets weird though, is when someone you don't really know makes camp in your extra office chair and tells you all about their marital problems, or the results of drinking one too many margaritas at happy hour. Um...I'm not QUITE sure how to respond to that. So I just sit there, and listen.
 
5. The Office Grump
What do you typically think the right thing to do when you pass someone in the hallway is? Smile and say hello, correct? Or am I wrong about that? It's upsetting when a smiley greeting is returned with cold, dead eye contact. Mental note...this person does not like friendliness.
 
Can you all relate?
 

Lisa said...

I totally relate.
I never realized how different an office job was compared to retail. I can handle grumpy customers a lot easier then bitchy coworkers. and I would rather hear a lady tell me about how she is buying an item for her grandson for whatever reason than how the lady in the office next door made an error in judgement this last weekend bc of her beer goggles from saturday night! ugh!

Vicky Hunt said...

I needed this laugh Randa...:)Love you and am looking forward to my weekend in Tally!
Love, Mama

The Nanny Jenny said...

So sweet of you to post this about your man, Drs sure do work super hard to keep us all safe. I have been following you for a while and have nominated you for The Liebster Award, you can find all of the info here http://jennysnannydiaries.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-liebster-award.html :)

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.