6.27.2013

Mesmerizing

I would describe pretty much every single one of my work days from the past couple of months as a "long day." When 5:00 rolls around, I'm typically tired, mentally drained, void of emotion, and just overall uninspired.
 
Sometimes it's really easy to forget all of the beautiful things that the world has to offer us. Our senses allow us to percept these things in more than one way...through smell, visually, audibly...the list is really never ending. How can we take these things for granted? We don't even realize that the mundaneness of our daily lives can build up an immunity to all of the mesmerizing things around us.
 
Last night I was playing catch up on one of my favorite shows...So You Think You Can Dance. I absolutely love the performing arts, and I think this show does an amazing job of portraying the art of dance. On last week's top 20 reveal episode, choreographer Christopher Scott created a piece for the top 10 guys in the competition. He used a simple "prop"...sand. This, combined with his brilliant choreography created something truly awesome to watch. Check it out for yourself.
 
 
I realized after the number ended that I had been smiling the entire time. It was beautiful. It was the first thing in a while that I feel I have truly appreciated. Which made me wonder, how much happier would our lives be if we really appreciated the simple things?
 
Things like...
 
The way the sky lights up with lightning right before a storm, and you can momentarily see the surroundings that were once covered in darkness.
 
Falling asleep to the sound of that storm's rain on the roof.
 
All of those wildflowers that bloom on the side of the highway during the summer.
 
The smell of your favorite home-cooked meal being prepared.
 
Seeing your guy all dressed up.
 
The happiness on a dog's face when he has his head hanging out of the car window and his ears are flapping in the breeze.
 
That feeling you get when you're doing something you love...like you have truly fulfilled your purpose in life.
 
Genuine laughter and happiness.
 
Having all of your favorite people together in the same room.
 
These are the types of things that keep a person sane. These are the everyday occurrences that inspire your thoughts, actions, and accomplishments. Every now and then, we just need a little reminder of how fortunate we are to be able to experience them.
 
Now I'm smiling at the fact that this entire thought process was inspired by a little bit of sand.
 

Vicky Hunt said...

That was mesmerizing! I hadn't watched that one yet! And....if you will remember to always notice and appreciate all those little things and everyday moments of your life, you will always have happiness...:) Love you! Mama

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.