7.16.2013

Don't Be a Scaredy Pants

Remember yesterday when I said I would have a post about my vacation up today? Well...here's the thing. I got highly distracted last night working on some other writing projects, and I didn't get to draft my post ahead of time. Being that my pictures are on my laptop at home, it's going to be delayed...again. But, that's okay! I have something I would rather talk about today anyway.

I am one of those people that has always had a really difficult time "putting myself out there." I'm an introvert at heart, and while I'm friendly, I'm often afraid of being too noticeable. This trait has held me back at many points during my life...in everything from social situations to academic and career opportunities. I guess I've always been so afraid of the fact that there is always a potential to fail at whatever you're going after. It just seems more difficult to fail in the public eye than if you have no one but yourself and those closest to you to witness when things go wrong. Does that make sense? Or am I just talking crazy here?

I have really been working on this during the past couple of years of my life, because I finally began to realize how I was missing out on so many amazing things. I have been trying really hard to bring myself out of my comfort zone, and while it may be scary at the times, it has truly paid off. I have made so many new friends...both in real life and in the blog world. I know now that there is no reason to be afraid of people. Sure, there are some rude, inconsiderate individuals out there, and you will encounter one every now and then. But for the most part, people will welcome you as long as you are willing to be yourself.

Something else I have always been afraid to share with anyone other than myself? My writing. It has been something I love to do since I was a kid. My dream is to see my name on the cover of a published book, and I have realized over the past year that that is never going to happen if I don't put my work out there for others to read and critique. So, I'm working on that. On top of the blog, I've been testing the waters of freelancing while also working on my two fiction pieces. Things are going in a positive direction, and yesterday I even did something that I've brushed off multiple times...I entered a fiction writing contest. I sent in the first 4,000 words of one of my books, and it felt really stinkin' awesome. I received this reply this morning, and it only solidified my feeling that I did something right.


Today, I am here to say...don't let your fears hold you back. Rejection and the word "no" will be heard many times during life, but avoiding those possibilities is only going to hinder you from the much sought after "YES." Don't avoid people because you're afraid they will be mean. Don't avoid travel because you are afraid of new places. Don't avoid your passions because everyone out there may not enjoy them. Don't be a scaredy pants.

Go. See. Create. Do. Enjoy life. Love yourself. Cherish your talents.

Bekah @ re·solve said...

Ooooh! Congratulations! It's brave even to enter. I'm so glad they picked you!

Vicky Hunt said...

I can't wait to read it all....:) So proud of my brave and beautiful daughter! Your day will come...I know it! Anxiously waiting for more...:)
Love, Mama (aka...your editor)

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.