7.09.2013

Don't be a Statistic {Guest Post: Liz}

It's Tuesday, so it looks like you have all survived another Monday! Congrats! ;)

Today's guest is someone that I have known for the majority of my life...since the first grade to be exact. This girl and I were enemies turned best friends. It is rare for us not to talk at least once a day, even though she lives halfway across the country from me now. Please welcome Liz!

Miranda
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! I'm one of Miranda's guest bloggers while she enjoys time with her family.

I've been best friends with Randa since elementary school and our friendship has survived divorce, acne, glasses, braces, first loves and first heartbreaks, graduation and beyond. ❤

Me and Miranda back in the day.

My name's Elizabeth Vaughan, most people call me Liz. I'm twenty-three years old and I've been married to the love of my life for four years now. I love the color pink, anything glittery or animal printed. Mexican lasagna is my favorite meal and Friends is my all-time favorite show. I have a fur baby, her name is LuLu. My husband calls me Princess. I'm the only girl with five older brothers. My husband, Gamma, Momma and my best friend Miranda (yes, the owner of this blog) are my favorite people. I graduated in 2008 and sadly I haven't quite figured out what career path I want to take. Everyday I'm learning new things about myself so I'm confident soon I will find something I'm passionate about to dedicate my days towards.

I blog over at lizvaughan.blogspot.com but my posts are a bit infrequent=). Usually about my journey with TTC, being married and soon: recipes and cleaning tips =D.

This is me and my love, Will.

Quick fact: I was a teenage bride and no, I don't regret it one bit. There's ugly statistics attached to couples getting married young. But my husband and I vowed not to let numbers define us. I'm a stay at home wife. My husband serves in the US Army. Our story is a slightly crazy one. We met in May of 2008. In November, Will left for his military training. The next month, he proposed. June 12th, about three months after we turned 19, we were married. Three weeks later, I was saying good-bye to everyone and everything I have ever known to move to Ft.Bliss Texas. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do so far. 1600 miles may not seem like a lot, but it felt like we had moved to a different country. I had to adapt to married life, as well as the military life, without the close comfort of my friends and family. All I had with me was my husband and it made us strong. Fast forward three years to where I was preparing to say good-bye to Will for 10 months while he deployed. My heart broke the day I had to drive away, leaving him with his battles. Those 10 months were the longest seconds, minutes, hours, days and weeks I've ever had to endure. We called, E-mailed, Skyped and wrote as often as we could. I worried about how he'd be afterwards. They say the first six months after a deployment 45% of couples split up. Combined with the odds already against us for getting married so young and I was a nervous wreck. I prayed constantly. For Will, for his battles, for the missions and for us. That we would once again prove the studies wrong. I moved back to Florida to be near my support system and I'm so glad I did. I had a lot to learn about myself during this time. I was strong. July 6,2012 Will returned home, physically safe and sound. He lost a really good friend while they were there and he struggled with that. We've dealt with a lot of obstacles so far and I know there's more curveballs to be thrown our way. But we have each other. We're still madly in love. And every single day is a day closer to changing those who use numbers against us.

Everyone reading this has a unfortunate statistic attached to them. I'm writing this to tell you these studies don't define YOU. Don't let them. Prove to yourself that you can do it. And know that even though I don't know you, I know you can break yourself from whatever chains are holding you back. ❤
© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.