7.02.2013

It's a Long Road to Wisdom...and Pennsylvania

I learned something new yesterday. Apparently...centering your blog posts is a no-no? I'm not really sure why, but I'm going to try something different today! If I don't like it though, I will most likely change back. Old habits die hard, ya know?

So I mentioned a few days ago that I will be traveling next week. Where am I going exactly? I, along with my Mama, Grandma, and Elvis (my Grandma's dog...not the King) will be making the journey from Florida to Pennsylvania to visit my uncle and his family. We have never been to see them before, so we are all really looking forward to it. Not only are we excited about visiting Pennsylvania (because none of us have really been) but we are also excited about the trip up. Who doesn't love a good road trip?

My uncle lives in a small town near Pittsburgh. Has anyone ever been to Pittsburgh...or live there? What are some fun things to do in that area? Fill me in, let me know. We will be there for a week so we are hoping to have plenty of time to explore. We know for sure that we want to visit Amish country, and we have been doing research on other things, but it never hurts to get tips and opinions from people that have actually been there.

We are leaving this Saturday and plan to stop somewhere between here and there on the way up, which will put us at our destination sometime on Sunday. I'm pretty sure we are staying up there until the following Saturday, then leaving to come back. I'm SO STOKED to be getting away for a while. I don't get to take many vacations out of the state as of lately, but I love to travel so I jump at any chance I get! This week, I thought I would throw some travel themed posts onto ye olde blog.

Today I present: Things about travel that most people hate, but I love.

1. Driving. Call me strange, but I have absolutely no problem driving for long distances. I actually kind of enjoy it. As long as I can stop every now and then to stretch my legs, and I can sleep after driving for hours on end, I'm good to go! A few summers ago my friend Liz and I drove from El Paso, Texas to our hometown here in Florida. That was a long drive my friends. I drove a good portion of the way and I didn't mind a bit. I'm sure I'll be doing my fair share of driving on this trip as well.

2. Riding in the car. This is kind of similar to driving, I suppose. I feel like when most people think of traveling, they think cramped legs, limited space, and sore butts. And boredom. But, just think of everything you have the opportunity to do in the car! I can be entertained for a good while just looking out of the window. When that gets old, there's always an iPod, a book, or a journal to turn to. There aren't many times in life that you can just enjoy passing the hours, so I like to take advantage of it.

3. Not sleeping in your own bed for a week. I would travel for an entire year without sleeping in my own bed if I could. Is it nice to get back to after your trip? Sure. Don't get me wrong, sleeping in tents or on the floor can get old after a while, but if you're getting to do awesome things in new places, it's all worth it, right? Plus, most people stay in hotels when they travel. And I don't know what y'all think, but a lot of hotel beds are more comfortable than my bed that I sleep in every night.

4. Being couped up with the same people for a long period of time. People get on each other's nerves in life...that's a fact. STILL...life is short. Forgive and forget. Live and let go. Enjoy the company of your friends, family, and even strangers. I assure you, those memories will not be forgotten. Why ruin the fun with pointless squabbles?

Thoughts? Opinions? What are some aspects of traveling that you hate or love?

And to end this post, in honor of this upcoming trip, I leave you with a few pictures of the last one I took; the one with  Liz that I mentioned earlier. (Liz will be guest posting for me on Tuesday of next week, make sure you come say hello!)

 
Have a great Tuesday! In a way...it's kind of like Thursday since Thursday this week is Independence Day and we're off work!
 

Vicky Hunt said...

Woo! Hoo! Can't wait.....:)
<3, Mama

Jen said...

I live in PA and I promise you're not missing a thing, haha. I don't have anything to offer you on visiting Pitt because I live in Eastern PA, but hopefully the weather gets better. We've had some really strong storms, it's been incredibly humid, and every where seems to be flooding. Enjoy your trip and PA!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.