7.22.2013

Just a Reading Fool

I bet y'all thought I wasn't going to show my face around these here parts today, huh? Well, I'm here! Extremely late to the game on this Monday...but I'm here.

Like many of you, I absolutely LOVE to read. There is never a time that I don't have a book in progress. If you ask me what I'm currently reading, I will definitely have a title to rattle off to you. I thought today would be a great opportunity to share some of the books that have been found in my hands over the past few weeks.

To see my ratings of these and other books I read, follow me on Goodreads. It's a book nerd's playground.


Has anyone seen the movie October Sky? This is the book that the movie was based on, and it is FABULOUS. I've read very few memoirs because I haven't come across many that I really connect with, or am entertained by. John recommended this to me and I thought, "Eh...I'll give it a try, but I probably won't enjoy it much." I absolutely loved it. Homer "Sonny"  Hickam Jr. tells his story of growing up in a West Virginia coal mining town in the 1960's. He gives a very inspiring account of his family, school, and everything else that comes along during the growing up years. This is all based around his journey to reaching his goal of building and flying rockets. In my opinion, this is a must-read.

I gave Rocket Boys 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.


I won't lie, the first thing that attracted me to this book was the turquoise on the cover. When I picked it up, I was intrigued by the title so I flipped it over to read the back. Jack the Ripper was Maureen Johnson's main inspiration for this fun, paranormal mystery. She uses the findings of her research on the historic murderer, combined with her own fun characters to create a story that is pretty hard to put down! I am a huge fan of young adult fiction, and this is one of the more creative novels that I have come across. The only negative I have is that I feel like certain points were left to the imagination. I just wish a few things would have been elaborated a slight bit more.

I gave The Name of the Star 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.


I'm sure you have all heard of Hoot...the children's book turned movie. Well, who knew that Carl Hiaasen is also the author of several pieces of adult fiction? Not I. My roommate however, loves him and encouraged me to read one of his books. I picked Star Island up at the library a couple of weeks ago, and after it sat around on my nightstand for a while I decided to suck it up and read it. If you are a fan of raunchy satire and the "humor" of Hollywood's corruptness, you may like it. I myself though, am not even going to go into the plotline. I didn't hate it...I just prefer my books to have a little bit of positivity SOMEWHERE within the pages. The only reason I rated it as high as I did was because I laughed more than I wanted to.

I gave Star Island 2 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.


After the Carl Hiaasen travesty I returned to what I know best...young adult fiction. Again, the cover is what caught my eye. I bought My Life Next Door because I felt like it would be an easy-to-read, happy, rainbowy book. While it was some of those things, it also ended up being much deeper than I expected. I even cried a little. Samantha Reed falls for her next door neighbor. Sounds cliché, right? Not really the case. I will let you read this one for yourself. It was incredibly sweet. I will definitely be reading more from Huntley Fitzpatrick.

I gave My Life Next Door 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

That's all for this edition of "Just a Reading Fool." I'll be back once I have four more books on the chopping block.

Also, I have my interview for my dream teaching job tomorrow. I would really appreciate any prayers/thoughts/good vibes you guys can send my way!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.