7.31.2013

So, I Guess This Makes Me Weird?

Yesterday was an interesting day, for one reason and for one reason only. One of my best friends may or may not have texted me to ask for permission to date my ex that I was with for over four years. And by may or may not, I mean she definitely, 100% did ask how I would feel about that. Wanna know what I told her? I told her I would be absolutely okay with it, and I cross my heart that it wasn't even remotely a lie.

I know what you all want to say right now. I can see the looks on your faces. You're thinking...

Why is this acceptable to you? Don't you realize this goes against every possible rule of "girl code?" You're about to lose a best friend, I hope you realize that. A real friend would never put you in that position. Blah blah blah blah...

So just stop thinking that, and let me explain a little.

To begin with, I ended the relationship almost two years ago. Why does a person end a four year relationship? Well, from experience, I can tell you that sometimes it just takes a while for two people to realize that they are not meant to be together. Y'all know how it goes...when you're with someone for an extended period of time, you become comfortable with them. But does that mean you're exhilaratingly happy? No, not at all. This kind of stuff happens, ESPECIALLY when you began dating someone as a teenager. So, it's not like I'm still pining away for this lost romance or something. We have been able to accomplish much more separately than we did in the relationship.

This brings me to point number two, which is actually sort of a confession on my part. The friend in question here actually dated this guy in high school before I ever even dreamed of dating him. As dumb as this sounds, she had first dibs. I can't help but smile right now because I know that now you're thinking, Wow...what kind of friendship do these girls have, where they just date the same guys all the time? I feel it's important to point out though, that we grew up in a teeny, tiny little town, where there were not a lot of options as far as who to date goes. Trust me, it just really isn't an uncommon thing where I'm from...especially back then when "relationships" only typically lasted a few weeks.

Most importantly, the people in discussion here are two people that I care about. I want them to be happy, and if that means being with each other, who am I to get in their way? In fact, I have even had suspicions that the two of them may end up together again. Now you can choose to believe me when say this, or you can not, but overall I am happy about the situation. They are going to be happy together, and I will even go so far as to think that some of the remaining tensions from the break up will be eased because of this new relationship.

Even after my explanation, I still have a feeling that the majority of you think I'm crazy. That's okay though, because I am a firm believer that time heals all wounds. Maybe I'm just being so calm about this because everyday, I come across more reasons for why it was a positive choice to end the relationship. I'm doing things I never thought I would have the opportunity to do, I'm meeting goals and working towards dreams that for such a long time seemed distant, and God is slowly revealing the powerful plan that He has for my life.

Plus, the fact that I am in love with an outstanding, Godly, motivated, sweetheart of a man is probably another contribution to my positive attitude towards the whole situation. ;)

Bekah @ re·solve said...

I mean, exes are exes for a reason. Good for you for being the big girl :D

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.