7.03.2013

Travel Essentials

It's Wednesday already! Can you believe it? In so many ways, today is kind of like Friday with tomorrow being a holiday!

Yesterday I shared my first post of my little travel series that I'm doing this week to help prepare for my upcoming trip. Curious about where I'm going? Make sure to click on over and read!

Today I want to share something very important to any adventurer...travel essentials. I thought it would be fun to share the things that I bring in my "carry on" bags. Since I will be traveling in a car for this particular trip, things may vary slightly from what I would bring if I were flying to my destination. However, all of the items would be similar in either situation.

Of course my suitcase is what holds most of the items making the trip with me. That is obviously where my clothes and toiletries and all of that other boring stuff can be found. Apart from that though, I keep two other bags with/near me at all times to hold some other much needed items.

First of all, I will always have my purse near me.


My parents bought me this Fossil bag for my college graduation last August. I absolutely love it. They told me it was to be used for all of my future travels and adventures, but I use it as a purse 90% of the time because it's the perfect size and I'm so obsessed with it.

During a typical week you can find all sorts of things stored in here, but I prefer to keep things to a minimum when traveling. Here's a little peek of the things I will reach for in here while on my trip.


1. Sunglasses...of course! I just got these from Burlington Coat Factory. They were on sale for $5 and they are my new favorites. You can't really tell in this picture, but they are brown at the top and then there is sort of an ombre effect into pink on the bottom of the frames.
2. My wallet, with my ID and money and all of that jazz.
3. A hair clip, hair tie, and a few bobby pins for when my hair needs to be tamed.
4. A couple of different lip balms. By the way, the Baby Lips balms are awesome if you haven't tried them yet!
5. My flash drive with all of my writing on it. I have it on a lanyard that a friend gave me. It's Hello Kitty and says "I love nerds." Ha ha.

Now, you know you can't go on a road trip without a little bit of entertainment! Especially if you aren't driving the entire time and you're just along for the ride. Therefore, I have another bag full of goodies that I like to refer to as my "boredom bag."


I found this backpack at Charlotte Russe a couple of months ago and I had to have it. I love the "utility" look of it, combined with the pretty lace on the top flap. It's also the perfect size for travel...not too big and not too small. It holds quite a bit of stuff too!


1. My laptop and laptop case. I'm not sure if I will have internet at all, but I still like to have it with me in case I decide to do any writing, or to catch up on blog stuff in the chance I do have internet at the hotels we stop at.
2. A good book for the book nerd.
3. My Kindle. I know...why do I need it if I already have a book? I'm a really fast reader, and if I finish the other book I have back ups on my Kindle, along with some games. (I have it turned face down because the "charge battery" message is on the screen. This is an older model Kindle, not a Fire.)
4. A small journal and a pen. I like to jot things down when they come to mind and I don't want to forget them. Sometimes I think of anything from writing topics to memories that I want to document.
5. My iPod Shuffle. I know...that's pretty old school. It's so cute and handy though, and I really like the music that I have on there.
6. My Nintendo DS. I'm really not a game nerd...at all actually. However, there are some awesome games for the DS! I love music/rhythm games. Again, this is the original DS, not the new model. I don't stay up to date on technology....especially when the old versions work just fine!

Well, that's about it for my travel must-haves. What types of things do you make sure to have handy when on a road trip?

I hope you all have a fantastic Wednesday, and a safe and celebratory 4th of July!

Vicky Hunt said...

Three more sleeps before we hit the road! Love you, Mama

Halie Renee said...

You have such cute things and I just want to steal them! That Fossil purse is screaming my name. The backpack is adorable and I love the lace. And that little journal is so fun and colorful! I bet you're getting so excited for your trip now!!

Halie Renee said...

You have such cute things and I just want to steal them! That Fossil purse is screaming my name. The backpack is adorable and I love the lace. And that little journal is so fun and colorful! I bet you're getting so excited for your trip now!!

Tony B said...

Those were enriching words. I believe you are a hugely successful coder. I adore you for this endeavor. More info : travel essentials

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.