8.12.2013

Just a Reading Fool: Volume 2

A  couple of weeks ago I put together my first Just a Reading Fool post. I love to share my opinions on books that I read. I do go through books fairly quickly though, so I just find it's a little easier to share short thoughts on several books in one post rather than writing a single book review every three or four days.

I have added four more books to the "finished" pile. I just realized that these all sort of fall into the "chick lit" genre. I guess that's what I have really been enjoying lately! Also, if you want to follow along with what I'm reading, or want me to see what books are on your shelf, come follow me on Goodreads. :)

Via 

I found this book while I was on vacation in Pennsylvania...at a Salvation Army store for $1.00. Thrift stores are one of the best places to find gently used books for super cheap. Summer Island was a step into more mature women's literature for me. As someone who reads a lot of young adult novels, it was nice to read something that shows the positives of growing older, and learning along the way. This story follows Nora Bridge, a fifty-something, successful advice columnist turned radio superstar. After walking away from her family when her two daughters were teenagers, she is able to live life in the public eye, known as someone with the heart of a saint, until a scandal comes out and reveals her past. Circumstances that can only be described as fate allow Nora to attempt to mend the past and create relationships with her daughters, especially her youngest; the sarcastic, angry, free-spirited Ruby.

Overall, I loved this book. Is it in my top 10 most loved books ever? No. But it did touch my heart and make me feel for the characters, which is a sign of a good read.

I gave Summer Island 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

 
Silver Girl was another Salvation Army find for me. I have never read anything by Elin Hilderbrand, but I have noticed her books on the favorites shelf in the bookstore before, so I thought it couldn't hurt to give her books a try. Main character Meredith Delinn has just had her world turned upside down. Her wall street savvy, disgustingly rich husband has just been caught as the operator of the biggest ponzi scheme that the country has ever experienced. On top of losing her husband, her money, and her belongings, her and her oldest son are also suspected of being involved in the scheme, leaving them unable to communicate and hated by society. With no one else to turn to, Meredith finds herself living with her estranged best friend Connie, in Connie's summer home in Nantucket. Despite crisis in both of their lives, they are able to rediscover themselves, and their friendship.
 
I ended up liking this book a little more than I suspected I would. The characters developed kind of slowly, and aspects of the story were not really carried through.
 
I gave Silver Girl 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

 
I was so ANGRY with Ann Brashares for the first 3/4 of this book. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was one of my favorite series as a teenager, so when I finally got the chance to read the "10 years later" follow-up, I was looking forward to a feel good story about some of my favorite characters. That wasn't exactly how it happened. Not only does the story begin with the girls being separated and rarely speaking to one another...they are all also midly unhappy with their lives. When they are finally offered the chance to reunite, tragedy strikes, pulling them even further apart than they were to begin with. Everything works out in the end of course.
 
All in all, the book was beautifully sad. When I finished the last page, I forgave Ann Brashares. The book is just an honest portrayal of how life isn't always what we expect.
 
I gave Sisterhood Everlasting 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.
 
 
This is another book that I found on vacation...this time at a store called Ollie's. This place was like a book nerd's heaven. There were tons of best-selling, hardback novels for around $3.00 or less. Sing Me to Sleep was a dive back into my world of young adult fiction, and I had high hopes for it. Beth is a high school chorus singer with a case of the "uglies." She is constantly picked on, and thinks she is hideous. However, she can sing beautifully. When she is chosen as the feature soloist of her choir, she is given the makeover of a lifetime and she is suddenly beautiful. When her choir travels to Switzerland for the National Choir Olympics, she meets Derek, a handsome Canadian choir singer. They fall head over heels in love, yet he is hiding something.
 
This book just didn't hit home for me. It was a little on the cheesy side in the sense that there were all of these random song lyrics thrown in, and the couple's love developed entirely too quickly. Not in a good way, but in an annoying teenager way. Beth also becomes obsessive and a bit unlikeable. Overall, I was ready to be finished with it. The ending kind of tied everything together, and I learned that one of the characters was based off of an actual person, which gave me a little more understanding.
 
I gave Sing Me to Sleep 2 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.
 
What have you been reading lately?
 




Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Thanks for doing these reviews! I have Silver Girl and Summer Island on my Kindle wishlist :-) I love Kristin Hannah and have read most but not all of her books!

Erin LFF said...

I LOVE your book reviews!! I definitely read a lot of Chick Lit in general, but have been tryyying to branch out more. I'm reading Jodi Picoult's most recent "The Storyteller"

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Kristen Hannah and Elin Hilderbrand are two of my favorite authors. I love every book they've ever written! I have Sisterhood Everlasting in my to read pile, my sister gave me a book "spoiler" and now I'm hesitant to read it because I know it's going to make me cry.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.