Let Love Cut Through the American Noise

Have you ever experienced one of those moments where you come across a song that seems to perfectly sum up some of your unspoken feelings?

I had one of these moments on Saturday morning, when I was driving to meet my friend Taylor for breakfast. I had a lot on my mind, and I was overthinking so many life situations...as usual. I arrived at the restaurant a little early so I sat in my car for a few minutes listening to the Christian radio station. And this song came on:

 
I'm not sure if you are familiar with Skillet. They are a Christian rock band, and if you are new to their music they may sound a little rough around the edges. However, they really do have some of the most positive, inspirational music that I have heard in my lifetime. They were my favorite band all throughout high school, and I can still sing every word to all of their songs from that time period.
 
Anyway, this new song of theirs is just so spot on that I can't even describe it. Over the past year, I have often been overwhelmed with the feeling of how truly big and scary the world that we live in is. Can any of you relate? There is just so much to take in sometimes. Everything is so complex, and while there are many beautiful things on our planet, there are also copious amounts of negative situations.
 
Angry words and honking cars
Satellites and falling stars
Distant dark blue radios that whisper down my boulevards
Ghosts and chains rattle in the attic
Broken headphones filled with static
Lonely room you've got nowhere to run
 
Many times, it's simple everyday things that become overpowering. It begins with driving streets full of traffic and crazy drivers, then enduring a stressful office environment for nine hours, then fighting the same traffic on the way home, hearing upsetting news about national disasters and tragedies on the evening news, learning things you don't want to know about your own friends and family...it goes on and on. Then, sometimes, our endless technologies just seem to be the cherry on top of a depressing sundae.
 
Slamming doors and cell phone rings
Hurricane force of silent screams
Don't know what to believe
Bend the rule just to break it
You're so tired cause you gotta fake it
But you just wanna be someone
 
It becomes so easy to get discouraged and miss the good things in every day. We can begin to feel so small and insignificant, thinking that nothing we say or do could possibly make a difference. We begin to forget ourselves, and we become afraid to stand up for the good in our society. We are taken over by all of this "noise." How do we begin to fight these feelings? How do we stop mourning for the downward spiral that the world seems to be going in, and instead stand up and fight for the positives in life?
 
Times will be bad, times will be good
Things I wish I hadn't done and some I wish I could
Cutting through the American noise
You've got a voice, and a song to sing

Our love and compassion has to surpass all of the things that are trying to hold us down. It's "one for all, and all for one." We all have a story, and a voice to make a difference with. We are stronger than all of this noise. We just have to stand strong and see what the day will bring.

Just felt like sharing some thoughts today. :)

2 comments

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

You're always so insightful and your writing always makes me think :-) I never heard of Skillet before but I love love love Superchick!

Aimee said...

I love Skillet and this song really spoke to me too. Great post! :)