8.09.2013

Summer is Dwindling

In many ways, August always feels more like the beginning of a new year to me than January does. The summer months are coming to an end, students are beginning brand new school years, vacations are reaching a bittersweet end...all of those comfortable summer feelings are slowly wearing off.

I have to admit, I had a fairly difficult time getting into the summer mindset this year. This is the second summer that I haven't been able to look forward to "back to school." I missed out on a lot of summer sun because I'm obligated to be at work for 40 hours a week. I just overall never felt a sense of that summer peacefulness, and not having something "new" to look forward to in the fall seems odd.

Looking back though, there were still plenty of memories made. If I've learned one thing from adulthood so far, it's that working full time and being dedicated to responsibilities makes those lazy summer weekends spent with family and friends that much more of a blessing. I just had to let go of the idea that my summers are over forever, and accept that they are just going to be different now. Not better, not worse, but beautifully different.

One of my favorite things about the summer season is the amount of self reflection it seems to bring. It's sort of the "in between" period of the year. It allows you to accept and let go of the bad, and anticipate the new things to come in the fall. Somehow, it's a comfort to think that the cool winds of fall also bring a new outlook on life. They sweep in and bring inspiration back into our lives.

Here's to a great summer to add to the memory book, and to the upcoming fall that will give us another season to be appreciative, fight for our dreams, love others, and enjoy this gift of life.

 
Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I'm nervous for next summer.. this year is my first ever without a "back to school." I am actually doing a post on it soon too! I am glad it makes you appreciate weekend more though; that's good to know!

Renee said...

I completely understand the feeling of the lost summer. While it's been years since I had a traditional summer break I'm still getting used to my adult summer schedule. This summer between my 9-5 and The Indie Chicks I had one week where I did nothing. Any other year I wouldn't even notice this break, this year I found myself getting excited to spend that week with family, to be out of cell reception and to just chill. You hit the nail on the head, working so hard makes those moments that much sweeter.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.