You May Say I'm a Dreamer

It's really difficult to have a dream while knowing that you are nowhere close to achieving it.

There, I said it. Most days my goals are what drive me to make it through another day at a place that I'm very unhappy. Other days, like today, I'm just sad because that thing I want to achieve seems like something that will never happen; something that I'm only relying on to fool myself into being content.

I know some of you can relate. How do you deal with it? How do you cope on the days that the end result of all of your work seems so far in the distance?

Last night, I looked up quotes about dreams. I don't know why. I guess I was just looking for some reassurance. And wouldn't you know...it kind of worked. I thought I would share some of the wise words that others have shared about dreams.

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure." - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only at night." - Edgar Allan Poe, Eleonora

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly." - Langston Hughes

"Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead." - Louisa May Alcott

"You may tire of reality but you never tire of dreams." - L.M. Montgomery, The Road to Yesterday

"Dreams are the touchstones of our characters." - Henry David Thoreau

"Dreams, if they're any good, are always a little bit crazy." - Ray Charles

If you're in the same low place I'm in today, I hope these have given you a little pep in your step as well. We just have to realize that there are going to be days that we are tired, let down, and devoid of a little bit of hope. That doesn't mean that our goals and dreams are a waste of time. Maybe we should look at it as a positive thing...this feeling means that whatever we are working towards is truly important to us...so much that the idea of not getting there is disappointing. Many people go through life without passion for anything. We should be thankful that this isn't the case for us.


4 comments

Brittany Lea said...

Just gotta remember that your dreams are important and they will come true someday...just got to work hard and know it will happen!

xo

Kay said...

Yes. I feel the same way sometimes, especially recently. Lately I've been reminding myself of how far I've come instead of how far I have to go to reach my dreams. It's definitely easier said than done, however. Sometimes my best solution is to just use those emotions and pour them out into my writing. That usually makes for some good stuff.

Erin LFF said...

I absolutely can relate girl. I have a great job right now, but its still just a job. There are so many DREAMS and things I LOVE that I want to accomplish in this lifetime. It's definitely easy to get frustrated when you feel they might be years away, but at the same time it drives me too. We are the only ones who can push ourselves to do and achieve. Keep that pretty head up- you WILL get there!!! :)

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I love this post. Sometimes I get down on myself because I don't have a job yet that I try and remember that it will happen soon and I worked my butt off to get here. Funny story though, when I was in fourth grade we had to choose a poet and do a report, so I chose Langston Hughes. For extra credit we could dress up like the poet we chose so I wore a shirt and tie to try and look like a man haha!