Hello September

Happy Tuesday to all! How are you y'all feeling post three-day weekend? Are you as exhausted as I am? I literally fell asleep standing in the shower this morning. My past three days have consisted of sunshine, precious time with John and my friends, grilling, corn hole tournaments, church, and an absolutely beautiful opening game by my Florida State Seminoles. It was so exciting to see them start out the season on that note. Florida State, Florida State, Florida State...whoo!

Labor Day seems to be significant in our culture because in a way, it marks the end of summer. It's always a little sad to say goodbye to the sun and fun, but the upcoming promises of the fall make up for that sadness. Here in Florida, the weather is still in the good 'ol 90-something-degree range. In fact, yesterday, the humidity was so bad that you would feel soaking wet after standing on the front porch for two seconds. Yet, I swear I have been feeling the first signs of fall weather. That little breeze in the air is just a teaser for the much welcomed "cool" weather that is right around the corner. Anything below 85 degrees is sounding like heaven right now.

So, it's SEPTEMBER already. This is my absolute favorite month of the year. Why, you ask? Well, for starters, it just seems like the "welcome month" for holidays and scarves and hot chocolate. And secondly...it's my birthday month! On the 27th, just 24 tiny little days from today, I will be TWENTY-FOUR years old. Woah. When did this happen? This will be the last year that I will be closer to the age of 20 than to the age of 30. That kind of makes me panic a little! Wait...does this include me in the mid-20's bracket instead of the early-20's bracket? Let me just take a little walk over to the corner and reflect on where my life is going.

Another special event that happens this month is a major mile marker for John and I's relationship. On the 10th, we will have officially been dating for an entire year. It has flown by, so it's difficult to fathom that we have been together for that long. Time flies when you're in love, right?  I'm looking forward to dedicating a special blog post to him next week!

I'm typically not the type of person to set monthly goals, but since this is such a special month I thought I would dedicate myself to a few changes.

1. Do more for others.
Lately, I have been feeling convicted about the fact that I don't feel like I show appreciation to those in my life. I want to change this, whether it's by mailing out a nice thank-you card or just making a phone call to catch up with someone I have been neglecting. I also want to find a way to serve my community, and lend a helping hand to people who are struggling.

2. Publish 2-3 more articles.
I have had a lot of small writing accomplishments over the past few weeks, and I want to keep the trend going. Writing brings such a fulfillment to my life. I really feel like I am making some giant steps.

3. Get out of my comfort zone.
I've never really mentioned this, but I used to sing. It was something I really enjoyed, and I haven't pursued it in any way over the past couple of years. The church I have been going to is having a meeting for people who want to get involved with the praise and worship team, and I'm going to go. It's time for me to bring that joy of singing for God back into my life.

4. Write a significant portion of my book.
My goal is to have it finished by the beginning of November. I'm not going to lie...I'm behind! I gotta put the pedal to the metal and get some words on paper.

5. Create and stick to a roomie work-out schedule.
My roommate Alyssa and I have been talking about working out together for a while now, and we just haven't taken the initiative to get started. September may just be the month to change that!

Here's to a great month!

3 comments

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Glad you had such an awesome weekend! Congrats on your (almost) 1 year relationship! I can't wait to hear more about him :-)

Erin LFF said...

Happy birthday month!! I'd say you'll be bumping up to the mid-20's, hate to break it to you ;) But hey, I'm in my last year of mid-20s.... next April when I'm 27 I'll officially be LATE 20s... yikes!!

I love your goals though, I know you can achieve them all. We both have writing goals this month too, love it! :)

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I will really miss summer but the humidity no so much! Congrats on 1 year!