Non-Conventional Storage and Decorating

My mom is the queen of taking something that may not necessarily be attractive or useful and turning it into something brilliant. She is a trifecta of thrifting, bargain hunting, and creativity. If I was lucky, I would have inherited these traits from her, but that isn't really the case. However, there are a few handy things that have been passed down to my end of the gene pool. She has given me the love for all things vintage, and the desire to be semi-creative when seeking decorative or storage pieces for my house.

When I am in need of something for my space, I want it to be unique. Because of this, I prefer to look at places such as Marshall's, TJMaxx, or Goodwill instead of running straigh to Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. My mom also keeps an eye out for me when she's thrifting. To add to the unique factor, I prefer to use certain pieces for purposes that they weren't necessarily made for.

Today, I'm sharing a few pieces from my bedroom. When I moved into my new place in July of 2012, I knew I wanted my room to have a loosely travel-based theme. With the help of my mom, I have been able to create a space that I love. When I get a better camera, I plan to do an in-depth post of my little sanctuary. For now though, I will keep it short and simple!

 
1. Coffee mug...or something more useful?
Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshall's always have a wide selection of adorable mugs and coffee cups. Every time I would browse the store, I would come across one that I just loved, but didn't necessarily want to use in the kitchen because it was just too cute for that. I use mugs and cups for a couple of different storage reasons in my room and bathroom. I found the one pictured above at TJMaxx for around $3.00, and while I didn't know what I would use it for when I purchased it, it didn't take me long to assign it the task of holding my remotes on my bedside table. You can't really tell from the picture, but it is a huge mug, and the antique map look makes a cute little edition to my room.

 
2. Dusty old train case turned perfect statement piece.
My mom found this train case at a yard sale. Considering it was probably made back in the 1960's, it was a great vintage find! it wasn't much to look at before, but she cleaned it up, and used mod podge to make a collage with different travel-themed scrapbook paper on the inside. As you can see, I now use it to hold all of my perfumes, lotions, and deoderant. It is one of my favorite pieces, and I get a lot of compliments on it!

 
3. If it opens and has vacant space, it's useful.
This "stack" is kind of a random assortment of things. The bottom case is a vintage suitcase that my mom found at a yardsale. The one on top of it is a vintage briefcase that I myself found at a yardsale. The box in the middle is a storage box with an old world map theme that my mom found at Hobby Lobby, or somewhere like that. The two boxes on top are photo boxes from Hobby Lobby (maybe?), that also have a travel theme going on. I use all of these to store things like photos, old letters and cards, paperwork, etc. The box in the middle holds a set of vintage coffee mugs that I'm going to eventually use in my own house someday. I hope to eventually find a way to better incorporate these items into my room or house, but that will have to wait until I have my own place and a lot more space than what I'm working with now. For the moment, I like them stacked in the corner.
 
Those are all of the tips I have to share today. I really enjoy these types of posts, so I'm planning to do more in the future. What are some of the unique things that you use to organize your space?
 


4 comments

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I love the suitcase with all your toiletries in it!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I use a coffee mug on my desk to hold pens and stuff, it's way more original than a pen holder from the office supply store.

A Life Less Traveled said...

I love the idea of decorating with suitcases.

Alexipanda said...

wonderful ideas! i love it, and I especially love new ways I can organize!