Tattoo Talk

I was reading a post over at Allie's blog, Tales of a Twenty Something, a few days ago and noticed she was advertising her new one-time linkup, Tattoo Talk. I have never talked about my tattoos here on the blog, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do so!

button

People are often surprised to learn that I have tattoos. I feel like a good majority of society still associates tattoos with the leather jacket-wearing, biker babe type of guy or gal. I don't exactly give that vibe off. I have more of a good girl vibe going on. But, good girls can have tattoos too. Having ink is not all about having a skull and cross bones on your arm to show how tough you are. It's a way to show a visual reflection of something that is important to you.

I got tattoo number one for my 20th birthday. I thought really long and hard about it, because I knew that I wanted one, but I also wanted to be sure to get something that would really mean something to me.


I chose something that would reflect the most important part of my life...my faith. Using my favorite Bible verse, Hebrews 11:1, as an inspiration, I decided to keep it simple by sticking to a single word. The verse says "For faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen." This one is on my left ankle, and even though it's not in a spot that is particularly easy for me to see, I find comfort in knowing that it is there. Just like faith as a virtue, I can't see it, but I can feel it.

As far as the process and level of pain for this one, it wasn't bad at all. I should probably mention that I have a very high anxiety level and a very low pain tolerance, so sitting through a tattooing process was a bit of a worry for me. It took the artist about 25 or 30 minutes to complete. It didn't feel good...about like a continuous cat scratch, but it also wasn't bad enough that I cried or even teared up for that matter. It also bled a little, but not enough to make me want to pass out or anything.

Tattoo number two came to life two years later, on my 22nd birthday.

Sorry this is so blurry! It's upside down on my wrist so it's difficult to take a good picture of on my own!

Again, I wanted it to be a reflection of my faith. I really liked the idea of having a verse from a meaningful song. It took me a few months to find one that I really felt was adequate. Around this time, David Crowder Band's "How He Loves" came out, and the first time I heard this song my world was completely revamped. The words are so creatively beautiful. The verse "If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking," gave me, and still gives me, goosebumps every time I hear it. Therefore, it went on my right wrist. Although I love both of my tattoos, this one is probably my favorite. It is also the one that I get the most compliments on.

The session for this one was quite a bit more painful. I had heard that the wrist is one of the more painful places to get one because it's so tender, and that is certainly true! The artist had to keep telling me to relax, and I think I kept my eyes squeezed shut during the entire process. Ironically, it bled much less than the one on my ankle, but it was also in a more convenient line of vision so watching the healing process for this one was a little gross.


I get a lot of questions about my tattoos. Why did you feel the need to tattoo your body? Doesn't that contradict your beliefs? Why would you get one on your wrist...that's such a visible place? How do you keep a professional job with your tattoos? You don't think tattoos are trashy? So on and so forth...

The answers to these could take up an entire post on their own, so if you're interested at all in the things I just mentioned, let me know and I will be glad to discuss them! I'm not going to take offense to anything else you may be curious to know either!

Can't wait to check out some of your tattoo stories!

5 comments

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I like your tattoos, very tasteful! I am too chicken haha

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I got a tattoo on my wrist a few years ago, one of my old bosses was like no don't do that it's so visible. I didn't even care, there are ways to hide it when I need to.

Love your tattoos.

Audra Kate said...

Oh my word! Love the How He Loves tat!! I wish I wasn't such a chicken! ha!

Megan said...

I like hearing the stories behind people's tattoos. I personally think that it's better to have a story behind one and want it for a purpose rather than just saying "I like bunnies, I think I'll get a bunny tattoo." :)

Allie @ Tales of a TwentySomething said...

I love both of your tattoos. I think simplicity like this can be the best policy when putting something on your body forever. I have two wrist tattoos and they were the least painful of all of them. Maybe cause they are extra tiny, but still non painful. Thanks for linking up!