A Look Inside a Minimalist's Makeup Bag

Today, folks, it is time for nosey post number three! I'm actually quite enjoying sharing these. Honestly, I think my favorite part is arranging everything into organized form for a picture. There's just something fun about that. Just me? Okay...never mind then.

If you're interested in checking out my previous "nosey posts," you can find them here:

What's on my iPhone?
What's in my Purse?

For round three, I'm going to be sharing my collection of something that every girl wants to love, but really just ends up hating on a daily basis. You guessed it...makeup! It can do amazing things, but it is such a pain in the butt to fool with. Unless you're one of those people that find it enjoyable and relaxing. Kudos to you. I find it enjoyable in the sense that I love testing things and discovering what works best for my skin, but putting it on is stressful. That is one of the reasons I don't own too much makeup. The other is, I really just believe in embracing the natural beauty you have been blessed with. Therefore, I only invest in products that will be useful for my particular makeup routine...which revolves around simplicity.

With that being said, let's quit dawdling and jump right in. This is my makeup bag. My roommate Alyssa got me this for Christmas last year. Adorable, right? Not only is it cute, it has a ton of space, and it's perfect for traveling along with me.


Here are the contents, all laid out for the blog world to see. I know some of them look quite beat up and disheveled. Trust me, that's just proof of a well loved product.
 


This is my little collection of "face" makeup. My favorite foundation is the Covergirl Clean foundation for oily skin. I have been wearing it for about four years now. It's always what I buy when I run out and have to invest in more. It gives a really light, natural coverage. However, I do use this much less now days because I'm obsessed with the Garnier BB Cream. BB Cream is so simple! I use the light/medium shade for combination/oily skin.

My favorite powders are the Maybelline Stay Matte (which is almost empty, sad day), and the Elf tone correcting powder, which is really nice for my pink-toned skin. I apply foundation with my hands, or sometimes a sponge, and powder with this Elf face brush, which is great quality considering I only paid $2 for it!



 I own more eye products than any other type. Mascara is the one makeup item that I would never give up, because I feel like it does the most for my face. My eyelashes are one of my best features, so I enjoy a hunt for a good mascara. Maybelline is my favorite brand, I haven't strayed from it in a couple of years. My favorite is the Waterproof Rocket Volume Express.

My Naked palette is my most expensive makeup item, and it was well worth the money! The shades are beautiful, natural, and versatile. I also have two single Urban Decay eye shadows. "Sin" is my absolute favorite eye color ever. It's a shimmery champagne color. The smaller palette you see is just a basic one from Avon.

Eyeliner changes for me. The Urban Decay eyeliners are fantastic, but expensive. I have been cherishing that last little bit of it in the shade "Zero" which is just a basic black. However, I also really like the NYC brand eye pencils. They work well and they're cheap! I also love the Elf eyelid primer. It works great and it's only $1!


These last two items are just random. Believe it or not, I only have one lip product in my bag and it isn't even a gloss or a lipstick. I HATE wearing stuff on my lips. You will never catch me wearing lipstick. Instead, when I want to dress things up a bit I use this Nivea Kiss of Shimmer. It's actually quite pretty. For everyday wear, I use EOS lip balms and Baby Lips balms. I apply them in the morning, and throughout the day as needed. I keep these on my bathroom counter and in my purse, that's what you don't see them here.
 
The Sephora thing is just a two sided compact mirror. One side is normal, and one is magnified. This is so handy when it comes to putting on mascara, or if I'm ever traveling and don't have easy access to a normal mirror. I've had it for a while, and you can tell because it looks well loved.
 
 
That's it for my bag of makeup secrets! Have questions about anything? Want my opinion on any of the products? Curious as to why I do or don't use certain things, such as blush or bronzer? Just leave a comment below and I will definitely get back to you!

What's in your makeup bag? Are you a minimalist? Or, maybe you're a makeup hoarder? I want to know.

Truly,
Miranda



13 comments

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

i used to be a makeup hoarder until my skin freaked out and i had to dump everything (sniff!) and switch to all natural makeup.

i don't wear a lot - just concealer, a bit of eye liner and blush. that's it!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I'm pretty much a minimalist too.. no surprise there since we're twins and all haha but hmm I may have to try that foundation. I LOVE LOVE my tarte one but it's just so expensive so we will see. Also, love your makeup bag, so adorable!

Stephanie said...

I'm a minimalist when it comes to makeup. I have less than you I think! Primer, foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, lip balm, black & gray eye shadow, and then brown eye shadow. That's it! Haha.

Mel's Mom said...

I have a question :::raising hand and waving::: will you pop open that NAKED eye shadow case and show me the colors?!

I'm stuck on my same Mabeline eye shadow and have considered really investing in a good pallet. I see everyone using NAKED so I want some ideas on what the colors look like :)

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Influenster just sent me some Ponds BB cream and I am totally in LOVE with it!!!

I love your minimalist makeup bag, mine is pretty minimal too. I did take some pictures of it but have yet to do a post.

The Peanut Program said...

i have that sephora mirror too!! i got it when i got a gift card--they put the gift card inside of it!

great products. i used to use those mascaras but i got a taste of benefit's theyre real! mascara (bought with a gift card) and i MAY just have to contiue purchasing it when i run out. it really is that good.

i'm still on the hunt for a good foundation for fall/winter that doesnt emphasize the dryness on my face, but also doesn't make me feel like an oily mess! so hard!

Chloe said...

I'm a minimalist too but you'd never know it by looking at my 3905 makeup bags I have. I love to buy the stuff but I hardly ever wear it. Oops.

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

My make up bag is such a mess. It's so cluttered. I love yours with your name on it. I need to get more organized and just keep the items I really need in it.

Nadine Lynn said...

I LOVE the Naked palette. It is my go to for eyes. I used to love to collect and try all different kinds of make up, but I have recently gone through and gave a lot of it to my nieces and sister. My skin freaks out if I use certain things now.

Renee said...

I must be the only girl on the face of this planet without the Naked Urban Decay palette. Have no fair, though...it will be mine very very soon! :)

lil desiqua said...

I am a minimalist with a ton of makeup, especially lipsticks, because I never wear them! I don't understand BB cream. What is it? Usually I mix my foundation with moisturizer (I have combo skin), so I imagine it to be a creamier foundation? Also, I am in LOVE with the Naked palette, and the Urban Decay 24/7 eye liners. Luckily I got them as presents, so I'm afraid to see what happens when I run out!

Gina Bares said...

Your makeup bag is so cute! When I was younger I wanted to be a makeup artist so I was a total makeup hoarder. Now I feel like Im a minimalist. Maybe I will do a makeup bag post soon!

Courtney said...

What a fun idea for a post series. You are too cute!