Defying Blogger Stereotypes

I've never really placed my blog into a "category." I talk about books and writing a lot, but I'm not a strictly literature-based blogger. I'm not a beauty blogger. I'm not a health or fitness blogger. I'm definitely not a fashion blogger. I don't dedicate all of my posts to music, or TV, or movies. I love to travel, but I don't do it enough to have a "travel" blog. I'm a Christian, but my posts aren't always based on scripture. So on and so forth.

Apparently though, the fact that I just seem to write about everything and anything makes me a perfect candidate for the "lifestyle blogger" category. What exactly is a lifestyle blog? Well, I guess any blog that doesn't fall into a single subject category is automatically shoved underneath this title. It's exactly what it sounds like...a lifestyle blogger is someone who talks about their life and all that it entails. And you know what? I will accept that title...for the most part. There are still a few lifestyle blogger expectations that I don't feel like I meet, so I thought I would discuss those today.

Note: Most of these are fairly sarcastic.


Lifestyle bloggers drink Starbucks daily.
Not to sound cheap or anything here, but Starbucks is EXPENSIVE. Some people are shelling out $30 a week, just on their morning caffeine! Do you know what I can do with $30? I can get 3/4 of a tank of gas. I can buy half of my groceries for the next two weeks. I can buy 5 of those awesome vintage t-shirts that I love from Old Navy. I can make a credit card payment. All of those things are just much more appealing to me for some reason. Now, don't get confused and think that I'm saying I don't like Starbucks. I do, I really do. Iced hazelnut coffees are my fave. BUT, they are only my fave about once every two weeks.

Lifestyle bloggers love "selfies" and "OOTDs."
I guess I missed the selfie bandwagon. Some people haven't properly started their day unless they take a picture of themselves while sitting in traffic. (And you people always look perfect...kudos.) I'm never really awake enough to even think about taking a photo to Instagram with a caption of "Good Morning!" I'm much more into sending unattractive Snapchats to my friends. I also have no idea how to properly document and outfit of the day. Every time I try, it looks awkward. And if I'm even trying, it's probably because I'm pretty excited about whatever t-shirt I have on that day.

Lifestyle bloggers are fashionable.
This is playing off of the outfit of the day statement. Let me just be blunt and say it...I am NOT a fashionable person. Do I wish I was? Sure. But I'm not. I don't run around in sweatpants all day every day, but I am an advocate for sheer simplicity. I don't know how to match a scarf with a shirt. I don't know how to decide what shoes best compliment and outfit. I don't do statement necklaces, or chevron, or jeggings. I like casual. I like classic. I like simple. If you ever see a style post from me, it is because I was feeling HIGHLY adventurous.

Lifestyle bloggers go crazy over pumpkin-flavored everything.
Fall has barely stretched its legs, and I have already seen multiple pictures of pumpkin breads and the infamous pumpkin spice lattes. Let me just be negative Nancy here for a second...I HATE PUMPKIN. Has pumpkin always been this popular in the fall? Like am I just now getting old enough to realize it or something? Or maybe pumpkin flavored things are just reserved for the women of blogland to discuss and drool over. Either way, you will never catch me with anything pumpkin in my hand. I just don't like it. At all. Pumpkins are cute to look at and all, but I don't want to eat them.

Lifestyle bloggers are professional Twitterers. (I think I mean Tweeters.)
I don't understand the secret magic of Twitter. I know that it's supposed to be really beneficial to bloggers, and a fun way to communicate, but I am still just so confused! It took me approximately four years to reach 2,000 tweets. I never know what to talk about. I'm not so sure that anyone actually accesses my blog through my Twitter posts. I just flat out forget to utilize Twitter's services. I will swap an occasional word on Twitter with some of you guys, but for the most part it's still this giant unknown territory. I also lose at least one follower every day. I don't think that's a good thing, ha ha.

I have more, but I think that five is a good place to drop off for today. I plan to do a part two to this subject. How about y'all? What stereotypes do you defy when it comes to blogging? What stereotypes are you guilty of? I'm highly interested! ;)

Happy Thursday!

11 comments

Nadine Lynn said...

I defy most of these except the pumpkin thing. I have liked PSL for years. It is like fall heaven in a cup. I also have a new love for pumpkin and other fall themed beers. You wont find me in daily outfit posts, or going to Starbucks every day, or Tweeting 200 tweets a day though. Nope, not me.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Haha I so agree with this! The only one I differ from is pumpkin; I love it and always have, even as a kid!!!

Kay said...

I love this, hah! I don't fit either. Like how am I supposed to be camera ready, every single day? I'm not, I'm so so not. Also, pumpkin spice lattes?.. Not that great.

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I rarely ever drink. No wine for me ever it's gross. No beer either, it tastes like pee in a bottle. If I do drink a mixed drink I have one and am already a little tipsy.

So that would be the blogger stereotype I defy.

Erin LFF said...

I refuse to buy Starbucks... SO stupid expensive. I'm definitely not fashionable, and even if I wanted to try to be? I don't have the money to be- hehe! I do love me some twitter though! I have no idea what 'type' of blogger I am!!

Sam said...

I can TOTALLY relate to you 100%!

1. The price of Starbucks' drinks is one thing but for me, the waiting in a 10 minute line is just ridiculous!

2. I never take OOTDs because I usually wear jeans and a tshirt. When I do dress up and look somewhat presentable, I forget to take pictures.

3. Like I said, I wear tshirt and jeans everyday.

4. I do love pumpkin flavored stuff but I think it's only because I know how much other people like it, that I force myself to like it just as much as they do.

Loved this post!

Hallie Oceanside said...

hahaha I love this probably because I am so guilty of everything you stated above!

You go girl for paving your own path! :)

The Peanut Program said...

i really don't understand how people are buying starbucks DAILY either!! it really is expensive! one day, i got an earl grey latte (SMALL, oops i mean TALL)...and it was like $3.50 or something like that. FOR A TEA BAG WITH HOT MILK. REALLY.

i hate PSLs too. ESP #PSL! so with you on this stuff!

Alexipanda said...

I totally agree! Except I do like fashion hahaha but nice new picture! I like it you look very pretty !:)

Tara said...

I love this post and so agree with you on ALL points!

Brittanylea02 said...

Love this post! I totally agree with it! PSL gross! I'm sorry I just don't do the pumpkin thing!