10.02.2013

V.I.P.

When John and I were still in the "getting to know each other" phase, one of the main things that we bonded over was a mutual love for a certain band. What band would that be? Before I tell you, let me provide you with some hints and see if you can guess on your own.

We were meant to live for so much more.
Oh, gravity, why can't we seem to keep it together?
Dare you to move, dare you to lift yourself up off the floor.
If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song.
This is your life, are you who you wanna be?

If you guessed SWITCHFOOT, you are absolutely right. You are also officially one of my best friends. Any lover of Switchfoot is a comrade of mine.

Let's get back to the story...where was I? Oh, right...John and I shared a moment over our Switchfoot obsession. When that came out, we had to jump right into sharing stories about times we've seen them, how close we've been to them...you know, all of that typical fangirl (and fanboy in this case) stuff. I thought that I for sure had the fan story competition won. I jumped in and shared the blurb that I had told a million times before:

"Well I saw Switchfoot at a Christian conference, and my cousins and I got as close to the stage as we could, and Jon Foreman is awesome, and he came off the stage, and he stood on my chair, and he sweat on me, and I almost touched him before he moved on to the next chair."

I wish I could say that isn't really how I talk about the occurrence, but it sadly is. You know how it goes when you're excited...you forget storytelling technique. After I finished talking, John just kind of smirked and looked at me like, "that's all?" Then, all calm and collected, he says:

"Oh, I've actually met him. Yeah, I talked to them and got a picture with them and everything!"

He then showed me the pictures. I wouldn't say I was jealous. Okay, maybe I was a little jealous. It was definitely cool though.

After the initial Switchfoot conversation, the band just kind of became a part of John and I's relationship. We listen to them in the car on road trips, we watch videos for their upcoming movie, Fading West, on YouTube, he rubs the fact that he's met the band in my face...(Ha ha.) So when we were on the road to my surprise birthday dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, of course we listened to Switchfoot.

At dinner, John had a blue folder with him that held clues for my birthday present. When it came time to reveal, he pulled out two pieces of paper. The first one he handed me had one of Switchfoot's logos drawn on it. I narrowed my eyes at him, and he said, "You're going to see Fading West, followed by Switchfoot in concert!"

I was so excited! I have seen them before, but they are so great that I could honestly be happy seeing them once a week. Then, he handed me the second piece of paper, which was blank. He told me to flip it over, and on the back he had written V.I.P. I looked at him again and he said, "You're going as a VIP! You're going to get to meet the band before the show!"

I had tears come to my eyes at this point, and all I could do was smile. I'm going to get to meet one of my favorite bands, and not only talk to them face to face, but take pictures with them. Even more than that, the whole ordeal is just so thoughtful on John's end. It just goes to show how well he knows me, and how important this relationship is to him. I cannot wait to have this experience with him by my side!

In just a few short weeks, on the evening of October 24th, I will be in the presence of these fantastic musicians. I can hardly wait.


Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

How sweet and so exciting! That man is a keeper.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

So awesome! I'm so happy for you that you get to see and meet the band you love! What a great and thoughtful gift!

Vett Vandiver said...

I love their music! so sweet it brings y'all together!

Vett Vandiver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vett Vandiver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Geeks said...

ahaha I'm so jealous! I've seen them in concert once but I was nowhere near the stage and I certainly haven't met them... Please take a million pictures so we can live vicariously through you!!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.