11.08.2013

3,052


Word Count: 3,052
Page Count: 5.5 (Single Spaced)
Chapter Count: 1.5
 
For the month of November, Friday blog posts will be the home of my updates for National Novel Writing Month. I'm sure most of y'all are already familiar with the NaNoWriMo challenge, not only because I mentioned it earlier in the week, but because it has become a pretty popular thing for writers to participate in. If you are unfamiliar and want to know more, you can read about it on the NaNoWriMo website.
 
Writing began on November 1st. I didn't actually suck it up and take the plunge until November 5th, so I am automatically five days behind on the schedule to reach the needed 50,000 words. However, I'm really happy with this week's progress. I have two other novels in progress, and they have been in very slow production. With them, I take all of the time in the world to think about plot lines and chapters, and then I work on them when I have time to sit down and devote to them. In other words, they are carefully planned out.
 
With my NaNoWriMo novel so far, I am learning a lot about myself as a writer. It was exhilarating to sit down at my computer with a spontaneous idea that I had just thought of earlier in the day, and just begin writing with hardly any preconceived ideas in mind. I reached 1,425 words on my first night, and when I read back through it, I thought...wow...that was a test, but it was so much fun! I am loving the direction that it is going in. I have full confidence that I will get caught up on my word count. I have full confidence that at the end of November, I will have my first completed novel. That thought gives me goosebumps!
 
I'm not quite ready to disclose any basic plot information, but I do have a couple of sneak peeks.
 
Title:
"Bilateral"

Genre:
Mainstream Fiction
 
Main Character:
Baylee Baird
 
Are any of you participating in NaNoWriMo? How have your first writing weeks treated you?
 
If you are a participant and you wish to add me as a writer buddy, check out my particpant page on the NaNoWriMo site.
 

Happy Friday, and I hope you all have a great weekend!
 
Truly,
Miranda

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Oooo I can't wait to hear more about Baylee! I would have no idea where to even start with writing a book, so props (hahaha) to you!

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

Congrats on committing to NaNoWriMo! I definitely don't have to the knack for writing enough to write a novel so kudos to you. Can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

Dustin Holland said...

I'm not participating in NaNoWriMo, but I really wish someone that is would write some new episodes of Walker: Texas Ranger.

Christine said...

Glad you decided to participate! I have faith in you that you'll get caught up with your word count :) I've found that if you just sit there and focus for a while you can get a lot more done than you think. I blocked social media websites and stuff for like an hour or so and by the time I finished I was surprised at how much you can get done in that amount of time, so you'll definitely catch up! As for my first week, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm 98 words away from 20,000, hoping to finish a little early because I know the end of the month is going to get busy for me. And I just added you as a buddy!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I love the name Baylee, can't wait to read your first book.

You're doing an awesome job, keep it up!

The Peanut Program said...

wow!! that is so awesome that you are able to do this. my mind isn't creative enough to pull a story together. you have 3 more friday's in the month - you can do it!

cozyup rubywoo said...

hey I love your blog!!! so quirky, following you, please can you check out my blog www.cozyuprw.blogspot.co.uk let me know what you think i would really appriciate it. xxxx

Sidney said...

This sounds like such a great opportunity :) I've attempted to start memoirs and such before but I just don't have the discipline. Good luck!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.