Creativity vs. Logic

Hi. My name is Miranda, and I'm a creative person.

Reading. Writing. Blogging. Singing. Colorguard. Musical theatre. Photography. Dance. These are the things that I enjoy.

As a young child, and all through my growing years, creativity has been instilled in me.  I read every book that I could get my hands on. I wrote stories and plays and put on talent shows for my family. I started singing at a young age. I took dance classes. I did every drama club activity that was offered to me. I was very competitive in guard. I took pictures. I made scrapbooks.

The older I get, the more my creativity seems to grow. As I am maturing, all of my past thoughts and ideas grow and develop along with me. Now, more than ever, I find myself daydreaming...just thinking of all of the stories that I want to tell and the stuff that I want to create. I feel like imagination and creativity tend to be associated with childhood. What I am learning though, is, childhood is only the mere beginning of the ability to create. Adulthood gives us the opportunity to actually go through with our ideas.

In today's society, most people are going to think you're crazy if you tell them these thoughts. We have been given this false notion that as we age, imagination and daydreams have to be replaced with reality and logic. While it is true that we have to learn responsibility and "the ways of the world," still holding on to the creative strands of your identity doesn't have to be a negative thing.

Just as some people lean towards being creative, others lean towards being logical, or rational. I have to admit, these people who are blessed with the ability to view all things logically seem to have a bit more of a leg up in the world. This seems to be especially true when it comes to surviving in a typical workplace. From what I have observed, when it comes to education, creative minded people seem to be more apt to study things that they find interesting or enjoyable, rather than what will actually help them get jobs in the future. Logical people on the other hand, study with their future careers in mind.

Therefore, us creative people end up getting unexpectedly placed into the structured work world unprepared, because we can't always find jobs doing something that reflects our talents. Adjusting to the 8-5 office world has been really difficult for me, because the way that I naturally think doesn't coincide with the work that I am given to do. For nine hours a day, I have had to train my brain to forget about words and music and promising ideas, and instead focus on data and numbers and audits. This isn't easy, and it causes me to struggle with overall happiness. I try so hard to be a good employee and focus on the tasks at hand, but I still find myself zoned out, daydreaming, and thinking about the next twist in my novel or blog posts for next week.

It's a learning process. As long as I'm having to work this type of job, it will continue to be a learning process. Sometimes I wish I had been given the ability to think more logically, but then I realize that I wouldn't be the person that I am today. For now, I just try to view it as a learning experience. It will make me a stronger, more mature person. In the end, the experience will just be proof that I am able to do things that I didn't initially believe I could do.


Truly,
Miranda

5 comments

Stephanie said...

I love this! I LOVE being creative!!!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I feel like fitting myself into "that" job killed some of my creativity after a while.

Don't let that day to day hum drum drown out your creativity. Nurture it and love it, I wish I had done a better job of that.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I think I used to be more creative as a kid (Odyssey of the Mind anyone?) but I think I lost a lot of it as I got older, I am much more logical now.

Sam said...

I think it's so funny because me and my younger brother are polar opposites and when we were growing up my mom said I was the "logical" child and I would rather sit there organizing things and put them in order rather than draw or read books like my brother. Now that we're adults it seems like the roles have changed and he's got a job as a financial consultant doing uncreative, "logical" stuff all day while my dream is to own my own cupcakery and throw glitter in the air when a customer buys one LOL.

Christine said...

I feel like I could have written every word of this myself! I was a journalism/writing and rhetoric major in college, and trying to go after that dream of being a writer is a struggle every day. I've tried to fit myself into the 9-5 job when I worked for a newspaper but it was a chore every day and I was so unhappy.

"Just as some people lean towards being creative, others lean towards being logical, or rational. I have to admit, these people who are blessed with the ability to view all things logically seem to have a bit more of a leg up in the world. This seems to be especially true when it comes to surviving in a typical workplace."

That part really resonates with me. I'm creative, my boyfriend is logical. He's almost finished with grad school right now and he'll be applying for a job as a science teacher next fall. He's doing so well, he has everything planned out, he's already so successful (in school, student teaching, substitute teaching, etc.) and I'm just like... man, why can't I have some of that success? But I'm happy for him, and I know that what'll make me happy is following my dream, even though I feel like it's the hardest thing in the world sometimes.

Sorry for the ramble, haha, but I definitely understand everything you've written here!