11.21.2013

Dakota

Thanksgiving is one week from today, so over the next few days I'm going to take several opportunities to talk about some of people that I am thankful for. These are individuals that I wouldn't be the same without, and they have truly shaped me as a person over the past years of my life.

First on my list: my brother, Dakota.


He may not look like it, but Dakota is actually almost six years younger than I am. Our age difference caused us to have a few differences growing up, but for the most part, we have always been really close. I remember pushing him around in my baby doll stroller when he was still tiny, and we used to sit at the dining room table and play with Power Ranger action figures for hours. Then, of course, there were the moments of sibling rivalry...like when we used to chase each other around the house when we were home alone and he would pester my friends and I to death when I had company over for sleepovers.

The funny thing about having a brother is, even though sometimes you just want to do nothing but choke them, there is still no one that you love more. Dakota has made me so angry, on multiple occasions, but there is still no possible way that I could ever not have his back. I'm always going to be there to support him, no matter what. And I know he would do the same for me. He will always be there to root for me, just like I will always be there to root for him.

The brother/sister bond is a very special thing. Regardless of who is older, or who is bigger, there is a comforting sense of union and support. You couldn't pay me any amount of money to go back and live life with a sister instead of a brother. That's just how it is. I have been thankful for Dakota since the day he was born, and I will continue to be thankful for him until the day that I die. I only hope he knows how much I love him, and how lucky I feel to be able to watch him grow into a fine man.

Love you, Kota!

Truly,
Miranda
Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Aww what a sweet relationship you two have! I can't believe he's 6 years younger!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Love his smile. :)

I'm so glad you guys are so close, I think sibling relationships are important. Obvi since I posted about my sister today too!

Nivetha Yokathas said...

Awww, sweet post. Love it!
xx

www.niviisdiary.blogspot.com

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.