11.06.2013

Fading West With You

A couple of weeks ago, John and I drove over to Jacksonville to see Switchfoot's Fading West tour. I told you guys that he got me VIP tickets for my birthday back in September, and I did a brief little teaser post about the event a couple of weeks ago. Today, I wanted to share more about the tour and our experience. I have been to a lot of concerts in my lifetime, and I'm pretty sure that this one is now at the top of my list in terms of a good time. You will even notice that I straightened my hair for the event, which means it must have been special! Ha ha.
 
Switchfoot, although they are pretty mainstream now, is still not extremely well known in the world of music. That's kind of a shame, because they are truly phenomenal. Their music is genius, and they make it their goal to spread a positive message everywhere they go. Switchfoot uses their music to give people hope. They want their listeners to know that even though life is hard, there is still a lot to live for. They want to help people believe that they are 100% capable of being the people that they want to be, and they are more than capable of achieving their life goals and callings. In the world we live in today, these are the types of messages that people need to hear. Switchfoot makes that possible.
 
This is the third time I have seen them live. The Fading West tour is the most unique concert experience I have ever been a part of. It was held at The Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, which is a beautiful old play house. The setting was perfect, and made the event so much more special than it would have been at any other convention center or concert hall.
 
Before the actual concert, we were shown the premier of Switchfoot's first ever movie, Fading West. This movie followed them on an adventure around the world to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Bali. They wrote the songs for the Fading West album while on this trip. It was really cool to see the inspirations for the songs that will be on the album when the full version is released in January. They also did some service work, and a whole lot of surfing...which is another one of their passions. The film was very artistically shot, and some of the scenery was absolutely breathtaking. The film was a perfect portrayal of each band member's goals, talents, and personalities.
 
After the movie, it was concert time! They played a few songs from the new album, as well as some old favorites such as Dare You to Move and Meant to Live. These guys are not new to putting on a show. All of them, especially front man Jon Foreman, put on one heck of a show. After the concert, which lasted about an hour and a half but felt like five minutes because we had so much fun, we actually got to meet them! This was my favorite part. I have been a fan of theirs for almost ten years now, and getting to actually shake their hands, talk to them face to face, and have my picture taken with them was just the cherry on top of the sundae.
 
I'm going to let the pictures do the rest of the talking, but first I just want to say a couple of thank-you's. Thank you to John, for the amazing birthday present and the perfect experience. I'm so glad I got to experience it by your side. I wouldn't have wanted anyone else there. And, thank you to Switchfoot. Thank you for being there to encourage me as  I have grown up. Thank you for being positive role models to our generation, and to the world. Thank you for not being afraid to stay true to yourselves. Your music is really a giant part of the person that I am today.
 

















 
Truly,
Miranda

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Looks like you had such an awesome time!! I will be going to Jacksonville in May for a wedding!

Stephanie said...

Looks like a great time! :)

Nadine Lynn said...

Looks so fun! Love Switchfoot!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Look how close you are!

Switchfoot is totally underrated, I love them.

Rachael @ Pretty in Pink said...

How fun! Switchfoot is great!

Lauren said...

Switchfoot is amazing one of my favorite bands for sure :-)

Dustin Holland said...

I don't know the first thing about Switchfoot. I just came in to say that in the last picture, John looks like part of the band.

Laura Darling said...

I went to the Fading West show with my sister a few weeks ago - actually that's what my last post on my blog is about! She's a much bigger fan than I am, but I loveddddd the show. I left and immediately made a Switchfoot pandora station! They are awesome!

Israel Defeo said...

Nice concert experience. I really hope they will go back here in the Philippines.
-http://www.jamnbop.com/

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.