11.29.2013

No Black Friday for Me, Thanks

Let me just tell you a little something about myself. I love the holidays. There is nothing that makes me happier than Thanksgiving, and family, and quality time, and laughter, and cooler weather, and yummy food, and Christmas, and thankfulness, and giving, and love. (The list could go on and on, but I will spare you in the lengthening of that run-on sentence.)

There is one little thing about the holidays that just grinds my nerves though, and that little thing is called BLACK FRIDAY. Now, from my understanding, Black Friday is called such because it is the day of the year that most businesses go from being "in the red," or in debt, to "in the black," or on goal with their earnings. However, whenever I think of Black Friday, I think of it literally...like a gloomy, depressing day which involves people running around like crazies and fighting over things like TV's and Furby's. That's just madness, and it scares me.

I realize that as far as the female population goes, I am most likely in the lesser percent on this one. I have witnessed many excited Black Friday blog posts, tweets, and Facebook statuses over the past week...especially last night. I completely get the fact that many people take advantage of this day because they have children to buy for, or there is a really good deal on something that they have been needing. And that's fine. If Black Friday is your thing, go for it. You go, Glen Coco. However, I will not be Glen Coco in this scenario. I will be staying home, in my warm bed, in the midst of my Thanksgiving turkey and dressing coma.

I guess what really bothers me about Black Friday is the fact that we are supposed to be in this midst of Thanksgiving and gratefulness and love, and on the flip side, society is full of ads and commercials telling us to cut short the family time to go stand in line for early bird specials. It's not only Black Friday now...it's Black Thursday Night too. Am I saying you're wrong if you decide to partake in Black Friday shopping events? I most certainly am not. I guess I just don't understand how this whole thing became so commercialized, and in a sense, bigger than the holiday we are celebrating, in itself.

So, when this day is over I will be all too happy to see all of the commercials and advertisements and store emails come to an end. I know they will only be replaced by announcements of post Black Friday shopping and deals, but those have to be better than the ones that have been circulating for the past month and a half.

There is one thing I miss about Black Friday's past though...

Via Google
WHERE DID THE CRAZY TARGET LADY GO? These commercials were hilarious. Bring her back, Target!

End, Black Friday rant. Enjoy the remainder of your long weekends, and try to stay warm!

Truly,
Miranda
Stephanie said...

I have never been Black Friday shopping. I online to the online deals. :)

Duh! Danae said...

Billy and I had this exact conversation last night. I hate black friday as well.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

who needs the crowds and craziness? ain't nobody got time fo' dat! why even bother when you have glorious online shopping?!

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

A Life Less Traveled said...

Add me to the group that does not go out for Black Friday. I worked quite a few of them in my college/working in retail days to never want to brave those crazy crowds.

Karoline said...

I completely agree with you! I think of Black Friday as kind of a "black" day during the holidays...there's just nothing about it that is remotely appealing!

Christine said...

I'm so glad that in my state it's against the law to open on Thanksgiving for Black Friday shopping, I would never have a big family dinner and then run out the door to shop. Having said that, I do shop on Black Friday. My boyfriend and I have done it for the past 3 or 4 years. We go out at 5:00am, which is after most stores in my area have opened, so there are no lines to wait in or crowds to deal with because those people have already been there. Things were actually pretty quiet in the stores yesterday when I went. Honestly, I appreciate the deals because I want to get my family nice things for Christmas and with student loan bills that stress me out every month it's not always possible to do so, but what I like most about Black Friday is just getting to spend the entire day with my boyfriend. We don't live together, so it's nice to be with him all day and shop together, and it's the one day of the year that we go out for breakfast, so it's not so much being part of the rush of shoppers that I like (I actually hate crowds), but I just love having this little annual tradition with him. But I do see why people can be so against the idea of it! Lining up outside of a store with hundreds of other people at 1:00am doesn't appeal to me at all, and I saw a clip on the news of these guys who were skipping Thanksgiving to camp outside of Best Buy for like 26 hours, which is just ridiculous to me...

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I didn't go black Friday shopping this year, I wish it would stick to Friday though and leave Thursday alone!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I got up at 2:30 AM and hit the local outlets with my mom and my sister. Since they had opened at 10PM there weren't very many people there to fight. It was kind of like regular shopping only in the middle of the night.

I think the girls in our family look at it as an extended way to spend time together on the holidays doing girly things while the men do manly things. Usually we shop, have lunch, and spend the day bonding. The sales are great but getting to have a fun shopping adventure with family I don't always get to see is always great fun.

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.