Oh, Life's Surprises

I've been sitting here staring at this blank post space for about 20 minutes now. Why is it that when you get out of your normal blogging routine, it's so difficult to jump back in?

Life is really good at taking us by surprise. The funny thing is, even though we know this and it's no secret, every little surprise still gets to us in the same way as the one before. Although we know life isn't meant to be planned out, I guess the thought just stays tucked away in the back corner of our brains so we continue to be unprepared.

That's how I felt last weekend. I have known for a while that I have been having digestive issues and was going to have to go through gallbladder removal surgery. I was even to the point where it was planned and I had a date at the end of the month to go for surgery consultation. However, my gallbladder had a mind of its own and decided that it wanted to come out sooner. Early last Sunday morning, I had my worst attack to date, and five hours later I ended up in the ER. It was inflamed and on the way to infection, so they decided to keep me and go ahead and remove it.

Surprisingly, regardless of my medical anxiety, I handled everything really well. I didn't cry or panic a single time, even though I came close when they were taking way too much of my blood in the ER. Eventually, I was even happy about it because I knew I just wanted to be done with the pain forever. They ended up keeping me overnight even though the surgery is normally outpatient because it was done so late in the day and I was running a bit of a fever. Let's just say I was more than ready to go home the next day.

Recovery wasn't bad. My family made sure that I had everything I needed for the week, my roommates were awesome, and the percocet made it a little easier to sit up and down. By Thursday I was feeling close to normal and by Friday I had cabin fever and just wanted to get back into the routine of life. I dropped five pounds over the week which is a plus. My appetite is still not normal, and it will probably permanently change some, which I'm okay with. Overall, I'm just glad the experience is over. Constantly worrying about the pain returning was no joke, and I will never have to worry about that again.

So, here I am attempting to step back into blogging after a week's absence. I didn't take any pictures of my hospital experience. For some reason I don't think that makes me a bad blogger, ha ha. Trust me, I was not looking photo ready!  What have I missed? I know I have missed y'all!

Truly,
Miranda

11 comments

Stephanie said...

I am glad your recovery went well! my step-mom had hers removed last year and she said she feels SO much better since they removed it.

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

I'm so glad the surgery and recovery went well. I can only imagine how relieved you are to be free of that pain!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

So glad you're back and feeling better! Missed you!

Nadine Lynn said...

Glad you are back and feeling better!

The Peanut Program said...

Happy to hear your recovery went smoothly!!! You didn't miss too much in blogworld :)

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

So glad you are back and feeling better!

Brittanylea02 said...

Glad everything went well hun and you're feeling better now! Glad to have you back blogging :)

Bekah @ re•solve said...

Welcome back! Glad you're recovering well...that surgery isn't fun I hear.

A Life Less Traveled said...

Glad to see you back!

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Aw I'm so glad you are okay. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. And glad you got the help you needed even if it wasn't when you had been planning on it.

Rachael @ Pretty in Pink said...

Glad you're back! Feel better!