The World is Really Big, and That's Okay

Last week, I basically took a "break from life." Since I was already down and out from surgery, I took the opportunity to literally throw away all of my responsibilites for the week. I didn't have to go to work. I didn't have to run errands or pay bills. I didn't blog. I didn't write. I didn't clean. I didn't fight traffic to get to and from the office. I didn't do anything that I'm so used to doing on a daily basis.

Sounds nice, right? Well, while it was definitely great to kind of revert to a state of freedom and no responsibilities, I feel like I am paying for it this week. I am having a really difficult time diving back into the hustle and bustle of every day life. I feel like as human beings, we get so focused on our "busy lives" that when we are offered the slightest taste of worry-free simplicity, we forget how to function. Maybe that's just me? Somehow, I doubt that though.

Have you all seen Man of Steel, the newest Superman movie? (I know this sounds lame, but I promise I have a point.) You know how the beginning of the movie shows Clark's life as a young child, and he has those periods where he is so overwhelmed by the complexity of the world that he can't think clearly? Do you ever feel like that? I do sometimes. Even during normal weeks where I am living my life as I usually do. It's easy enough to get wrapped up in your own personal thoughts, and stress about everything you're in charge of in life, but then you begin to think about all of the craziness that is going on in the rest of the world, and it can begin to seem extremely depressing.

As people who have so many opportunities for happiness and freeness of spirit, why do we find it so easy, or even "necessary" to tie ourselves down with numerous pointless worries? Sure, there are a lot of negative things around us that we are more than capable of changing, but there are also many that we can't change. Dwelling on those, and letting them weigh heavily on our hearts will only put us into a place of sadness, and make us forget about everything else that we should be rejoicing about.

We have to continue to fight. We have to fight for our happiness. We have to fight for our right to enjoy life. We have to fight for a mindset that will allow us to live fully, while also overcoming the glorification of busyness and stress.

Just a few thoughts for this Tuesday morning. I hope you all have a great day!

Truly,
Miranda

5 comments

Stephanie said...

Love this post!!! So true! :)

Sidney said...

I can definitely relate to this post and I posted something similar recently about thinking about a future beyond ourselves.

Something about the way you said we have to fight for our happiness made me a little angry inside. That seems unfair that we have to fight to be happy, but you're spot on. We really do. Great post lady!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

You definitely have to go out and grab happiness, it doesn't just knock on your door.

It's a lesson I learned this year and I try to remind myself of it often because it's so easy for me to forget.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I get super overwhelmed sometimes and I just can't wrap my head around everything. Sometimes you just need a week to let it all go, I'm glad you're doing somewhat better!!

A Life Less Traveled said...

I love the line "we have to fight our happiness in life". I feel this on a daily basis with the struggles of life.