"What Gives a Girl Power and Punch?"

Is it charm? Is it poise? No it's hairspray!
What gets a gal asked out to lunch?
Is it brains, is it dough? No it's hairspray!

Oops. Sorry for the distraction. However, this post is going to be about hair, and I can't think about hair without thinking about Hairspray, which is only one of my favorite musicals of all time. You're welcome for getting that song stuck in your head.

Anyway, I felt like today would be the perfect time to do the next installment of my "nosey post" series. In case you're new here, my nosey posts are basically just the sharing of things that other women seem to enjoy learning about. If you're interested, you can find my previous ones through these links:

What's in my makeup bag?
What's on my iPhone?
What's in my purse?

Today, we are taking a stroll through the land of Miranda's hair products. Hair products seem to be something that women tend to hoard, because it's usually a process to find things that we actually like. I'm not really a hoarder though. Even if I buy something and don't like it, I will use it until it's gone because otherwise I just feel like I have wasted time and money.

Also, here is a little information on my hair type and such, that way if you have similar hair to me in any way, you can take my opinion of the products into account. My hair has always been really thick. If you have thick hair, you know that it can be harder to care for and keep healthy. When I was a kid, my hair was extremely straight, but it became wavier the older I got. I viewed natural wave as such a negative thing when I was in middle and high school, and even part of college. Therefore, I straightened the absolute mess out of it every single day.

Needless to say, that eventually put my hair in a less healthy state, not to mention it was time consuming, so I did some research on caring for wavy hair, and ditched the straightener. I'm now all about embracing your natural hair texture, so 99% of the time I either let my hair air dry or dry it with a diffuser on my blow dryer. I straighten my hair maybe once a month, but normally not even that. I really only break out the flat iron if I feel like straight hair is appropriate for an event or something. When my hair air dries, it looks very similar to the picture I have here on the main page of my blog. When I diffuse it, it's much wavier and looks like this:


Please excuse my eyebrows in this picture. It was taken before my monthly eyebrow grooming, ha ha. Eyebrow maintenance is a real struggle. I also got about an inch and a half trimmed off of my hair yesterday so it isn't quite this long, but it is always in the "long" category. I feel like short hair makes me look 13-years-old.

So let's jump into what I actually use product-wise. I obviously don't use all of these every single day. Don't worry, I'm going to break them down.


Here is one of my confessions...I am a sucker for anything that smells good. I typically repurchase products not because they work well for me, but because they smell great. It's hard to give up something that just makes you happy every time you use it because it smells awesome. That's why I keep coming back to this shampoo and conditioner combination. Herbal Essence's Long Term Relationship is obviously marketed towards long hair. I don't feel like it actually does anything special for long hair, but the scent is absolutely heavenly. Seriously, go to your nearest Target and smell this stuff. It is really moisturizing though, which is a plus.


I always use a leave-in conditioner because my hair is long enough that the ends tend to get pretty dry between trims. For a while I was using the Garnier sleek and shine cream, but when I finished the bottle I just wasn't too impressed. I have been using this Neutrogena leave-in cream for almost a month now, and I love it. It's moisturizing, yet light, and the smell isn't overwhelming.


I am still on the hunt for the perfect wavy-hair styling product. I can't get enough of the Not Your Mother's sea salt spray during the summer. I usually just spray it on and let my hair do it's thing. But, during the colder months I want my hair to be a little more polished, so I diffuse it more. When I diffuse, I use this got2b curl cream, which works okay, but it's a little sticky for my taste. It' also doesn't smell very good. Do any of my wavy friends have recommendations for a good curling product? I prefer creams over mousses or gels.


I use the same heat protectant that roughly 90% of other women in the world use, ha ha. Tresemme did a great job with this one. It protects, makes hair shiny, and it smells great too. It's actually the only heat protectant I have ever used, and I haven't wanted to stray. I use it for blow drying, and for that one time a month that I straighten.


Last but not least is the category of hairspray. I really, really don't care for hairspray. However, with wavy hair and all of the humidity here in Florida, it is kind of necessary for me. After finally using up a giant can of Tresemme hairspray that I didn't care for, I bought the Pantene can. I like the hold of it okay, but there is something about the smell that I just cannot handle. It's way too strong. So, while I was at Target the other day I bough the bottle of Dove spray. Honestly, I haven't tried this yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if I like the flexible hold that it promises. I haven't used it because I have been obsessed with this Aveda sample that I got at an event a couple of weeks ago. I love this stuff! The hold is flexible but strong, and the smell is a little strong at first, but as it sits in your hair it smells awesome. I have another little sample, and I will be so sad when they're gone. I may have to actually splurge and buy a full size from Aveda.


And with the hairspray, my little tour of hair products is concluded. Do we use any of the same products? Do you have any recommendations for me? What are your go-to hair products?

Before I head off, I just want to say that I'm sorry if I haven't replied to your comments in the past couple of days. I am way behind of responding, and I'm hoping to get caught up by the weekend! I haven't forgotten about y'all, I promise! Have a great day!

Truly,
Miranda


5 comments

Stephanie said...

I love that movie/musical!!! Now I think I'm going to have to watch it tonight. :)

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I love the smell of that sea salt spray!! I can't use too much product in my hair at all or it gets too oily, but every year I can't resist buying seat salt spray because of the smell!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I use shampoo and conditioner and that's it. I let my hair air dry and it's got a funky little wave to it but I have just learned to live with it.

I do have a straightener though if I feel like I need to bring sexy back. :)

Chelsea Warner said...

I am right there with ya on buying things just because they smell good! I used to spend SO much money on hair products - because you and I have the same exact hair, except mine is way curlier. As you mentioned, it's hard to take care of! Well, now that I'm a mom and don't have time nor a ton of money, I use all Suave products. I have to say that I LOVE them!! But, I used that Herbal Essences shampoo for years!

Sam said...

I'm totally guilty of buying things just for the smell LOL. Those Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners were my favorite when I was in middle and high school because I loved the way it smelled in my hair but now that I have such damaged hair from heat and color, I have to use not-so pleasant smelling shampoos to strengthen all the damage I've done to my locks.