11.26.2013

What I Learned from Pitch Perfect

Movies.

They're great, right?

Obviously they are there for the entertainment aspect. They make us laugh. They make us cry. They make us angry and anxious and afraid. They allow us to experience a complete journey without ever having to actually move from the seat that we are sprawled out on. Unless it's just a really bad movie...then we hate the entire thing and vow to never watch it again ever.

Something else that is really cool about movies is the culture that seems to spin off of them. Certain movies make huge impacts on certain groups of people. As human beings, we like to identify with situations. That's why after we have watched a movie that we really loved, we leave the theater talking about it and quoting our favorite scenes. For example...we are all extremely familiar with the fandom that spanned off of Mean Girls. How long ago did that movie come out? In 2004 or something, right? That's been almost ten years, yet we are still quoting it every single day...and we aren't even tired of the phenomenon!

Today, I want to share a few things that I have learned from a more recent favorite...Pitch Perfect, of course! As a sucker for anything nerdy and musical, I saw this movie in theaters twice, and it quickly became my friends and I's go to movie to watch on a girl's night. I've also listened to the soundtrack a few hundred times, and I probably use a Fat Amy quote in my dialogue at least once a day. It's just an all around "perfect" movie. So, here is what it taught me. I'm anxious to see if you agree.




1. Projectile vomiting can be a positive thing.
So, if you've seen the movie (and if you haven't...drop everything you're doing and go watch it right now), you know that the opening scene ends with Aubrey projectile vomiting all over the audience. Sounds like the most horrifying embarrassing moment ever, right? Normally, it would be, but think about it...Aubrey's projectile vomiting was actually just the beginning of the new transformation of The Barden Bellas. Every negative has a positive, right? Even when vomit is involved.

2. Being a DJ automatically makes you cooler.
I wanted to be Beca within the first ten minutes of the movie. Her and all of her music mixing gadgetry just made me want to learn how to make some cool techno music. I don't think I would be very good at it, but it's the idea that counts.

Via Google
3. If a guy is serenading you from his car, you go after him.
Jesse's air guitar in the car was only the beginning of his adorableness. I understand that chasing after the car would have been bad for Beca's tough girl image, but how do you really pass that up?

4. If a person doesn't like you from your initial conversation, just mermaid dance for them.
Fat Amy really has this down. Just immediately throw your talents out there for people to appreciate, and no one will ever forget your name. Go big or go home. I'm still waiting for an opportunity to show my mermaid dancing off.

Via Google
5. It's really difficult to stay sane in a large group of girls.
If you have ever been a part of an activity that involves hanging out with multiple girls, you already know this. The Barden Bellas are just proof of this. Girls can be a little over the top, and personalities can clash. Luckily though, the arguments don't normally take place around a huge puddle of vomit.

6. Even the nerdiest guy is going to have an adorable quality.
Take Benji for example...he is the epitome of a classic nerd, but he sings like an angel. I've said it before, and I will say it again...don't write off the nerds!

7. As an add on to number three, if the guy who has a crush on you also looks like this...there is potential there.
My roommate and I just sit and gush over how adorable the character of Jesse is when we watch this movie. That voice...that smile! Gosh, it's almost too much.

Via Google

8. Mash-ups are always a good idea.
It started with Glee, and wound up on Pitch Perfect. Putting a few different songs into one set makes for one catchy soundtrack. It also gave me a newfound appreciation for The Breakfast Club.

9. It's okay to be friends with weird people.
This movie is full of some strange individuals...but that's okay. The reality is, we are all a little crazy, and it's important to be crazy together. Diversity is the spice of life.

10. When all else fails, just sing and dance.
Having a bad day? Bust into song. Feeling down? Break out in choreographed dance. There isn't much that's more fun that that! At least, in my mind there isn't.

Via Google

That's all I've got for now. What did you learn from Pitch Perfect? Anything interesting? I'd love to know.

Truly,
Miranda
Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Love this post.. and Pitch Perfect! It is too stinking hilarious.. do you watch Rebel Wilson's new show, Super Fun Night? It's cute and really funny.

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

#2. I was in love with her fashion style, I wanted to be her because she just looks cooler than I do.

#9. Weird people are the BEST kind of people to be friends with, they are always fun to be around.

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Haha I haven't seen Pitch Perfect yet but this makes me want to!

Stephanie said...

Pitch Perfect is the best movie...ever!

Jess said...

Great post!

Funny story.... my cousins, their respective spouses, and I were looking for a movie to watch the day after Christmas last year. The girls all came to the conclusion that we all wanted to see 'Pitch Perfect' and it was the only movie none of us had seen out of the options presented. The guys just went along with it.

As soon as Aubrey vomited, my cousin Ben shouts, "THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!!"

No joke, we watched it two more times that week. I quote lines constantly.

The Peanut Program said...

I never saw it but do like the music :)

Meghan said...

Oh my gosh, we quote this movie all the time around my house too. Especially when we don't want to do something, we'll scream hard pass! Or my dad loves to throw in lezbihonest at the most random times so there's that.

Renee said...

Okay, so you're going to laugh because when I first saw the title of this post, my mind automatically went to FEVER PITCH! After the first point, I was really getting confused so I finally googled Pitch Perfect and realized that I was soooo far off!Wooops!

And I just realized I've never seen that movie! I guess I'll have to add it with my Christmas selection that I have lined up over the next couple of weeks!

Oh, and then I'll have to re-read this post again! :)

Stephanie said...

I love this movie. I wanted to be Beca too! Such fun gear, even though I have no idea what it all is. I just want it.

Halie Renee said...

Oh this is the best! I am also obsessed with this movie (but who in their right mind isn't?!) Loved it :)

Cristine Douglas said...

I watch this movie for 10+ times already and can't get enough of it! I so love the pitch perfect songs and music. The casting is also aca-awesome! So love it!

Cristy Aca-Fan
http://meowchie.snydle.com/pitch-perfect-songs.html

Apple Green said...

Game online a lot of people who love to help them relieve stress of the moment, such as TinyTanksandTinyPlanesorTiny Planes Beta is the fighting game with a pen or pencil, you have to destroy opponents before they kill you. Or Run 3 Unblocked and Hacked unblocked Gamesare skillful game controller for bears to dance to the goal without falling off a cliff. I wish you happy gaming!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.