Florida Problems {Holiday Edition}


It's shaping up to be a lovely spring, December day here in The Sunshine State. Notice the high...81 degrees. Excuse me? It's December 6th and I'm dressed like it's the middle of May.

Here's a not so secretive fact about us Floridians...we love to complain about the weather. This doesn't make much sense because we are obviously used to it, but we still do it anyway.  It's always too hot and we wish for cool weather, but then when the weather drops below forty degrees we want it to be warm again. When it's raining, we want it to stop. When it's dry and sunny, we wish for thunderstorms.

It's a neverending cycle, but it's really Florida's fault because the weather patterns are just strange and bipolar. We don't really have "seasons." I mean, we have times of the year where the temperatures are overall cooler, but we still get rain and 80-degree days throughout the entire year. Oh, and no snow ever, of course.

The time of year that this is most annoying is during the holiday season. Holiday culture has us all walking around with these visions of hot chocolate, and scarves, and snow, and sledding. In Christmas movies, people walk around in these quaint little towns covered with fresh snow, and their breath comes out in puffs when they speak, and they make snowmen and sit by the fire and read Christmas stories. Even on the coldest days here in Florida, and other areas of the South, things do not play out like this. We get a quite different experience during the holiday season. Just like everything in life though, there are pros and cons to our specific holiday experience.


Pros

No snow.
Yeah, I know I was just complaining about not having snow. However, I don't know from experience, but snow seems like an awful lot of work. You have to have special tires, it literally covers everything, and it's a constant battle to keep it off of your driveway and your car. Plus, it's really cold. I'm pretty sure it's something that I would appreciate more if I only have to deal with it occasionally.

No ice scraping.
On the coldest mornings here, cars will get covered with a thin layer of ice and it absolutely drives me crazy. I don't have a special ice scraper thing, and I don't feel like it would be a smart investment because I would only use it about three mornings a year. Plus, I'm not even sure if we can buy them here? I don't know, I haven't looked into it. Nobody has time to pick the ice off their car at 7:00 AM. I just can't deal with that every morning.

Less wardrobe expense.
I can wear most pieces of my wardrobe year round. There is no swapping out the summer clothes with winter clothes, because they are all the same clothes. I can still wear shorts some days in December, and I can wear a pair of jeans in June. (Only if I'm brave though, or it's the evening, because it's just too hot for that.)

No layering. (Most of the time.)
It's hard enough to pick out an outfit and get dressed sometimes. What would make it harder? Having to put on leggings and crazy socks and fourteen other layers of clothing to prepare for the cold. That's a lot of time to take to get dressed in the mornings! If I'm going to be outside on a particularly cold day, I will layer a bit. But that's fairly rare.

Cons

Listening to Christmas music gets kind of awkward.
I love Christmas music, but sometimes it just makes absolutely no sense. I'll be driving down the road with my sunroof open, and out of the speakers I will hear, "Dashing through the snow..." All I can think is...no. Just no. The only form of precipitation I ever dash through is rain. That doesn't exactly have the same effect.

Sweater weather isn't always a thing.
I can pin a million and a half cute sweaters on Pinterest, but does that mean I will actually get to wear them? No. Aside from not having money to purchase all of the sweaters, it's rarely cold enough to wear one here. In the mornings you can get away with it, but by noon it's 75 degrees and you're contemplating removing it and walking around in your undershirt.

No snow.
I know I said this is a pro, but it would be nice to understand the meaning of a white Christmas at least once.

Hot chocolate and warm apple cider just don't have the same appeal.
It would be awesome to walk through a winter wonderland with a scarf around your neck and a hot beverage warming your hands. Last time I had cider, it was 70 degrees and it made me too warm. And I wasn't wearing a scarf. Or even long sleeves for that matter.

What's the holiday weather like for you right now? Are you in the same boat as us Floridians, or are you wishing for warmer temperatures?

Happy Friday, and I hope you all have a great weekend! I'm off to finish work for the day and then prepare for my first Christmas party of the season...to which I will probably be wearing shorts and sandals with my tacky sweater. True Florida girl, right here.

Truly,
Miranda

11 comments

Duh! Danae said...

Thats the same as Arizona I remember one year on Christmas I was laying out by the pool and it was amazing!

Nadine Lynn said...

I am from Pittsburgh, so I am used to freezing cold weather in the winter and snow. I have moved around a lot and the south is the most confusing place ever. Both in Atlanta and Birmingham it can be 45 one day, then 75 with tornado warnings the next and by Friday they are talking about sleet or snow and a high of 30?! I get sick EVERY winter because of the ridiculous fluctuations in temperature. Which is what we are experiencing this week. There is a 40 degree spread across the state right. How is that even possible?!

Stephanie said...

I couldn't do winter without snow. It's my favorite. Yes, I'm weird. :)

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Well here in SC Mother Nature is also bringing in the spring, it's suppose to be 70 today and I don't hate it at all. Who else besides you gets to wear shorts in December!?!

I think we all complain about the weather instead of just going with the flow. Even though I love rain it made me mad that it rained every weekend this summer and now I'm mad it's sunny every weekend. The one thing I don't think I have to worry about anymore is snow and that's awesome!

brooke lyn said...

you can have some of my cold weather! more than happy to share

brooke lyn said...

you can have some of my cold weather! more than happy to share

Rikki Rivera said...

True true.. I'm from PCB, my parents still live there (I don't), but they have been missing the feeling of winter being around for the holidays. You're right though, it's good sometimes... and it's lacking.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

i wish that toronto only got as cold as the fall weather but nothing less than that! i hate the cold and the snow and everything that comes with it.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

I hate the cold so much but had never thought about the hot chocolate/hot apple cider thing before. That's a good point. It's been relatively warm in NY (like hig 50s lately) and I haven't even switched to hot coffee yet!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I can't imagine not having sweater weather and snow! I like my 4 seasons :-)

A Life Less Traveled said...

As a fellow native Floridian, you really nailed it. I was just saying how it is hard to get into the holiday spirit when it is 80 degrees out.