I Believe in Adventure


Over the past few months, I have been constantly out of town, going places on the weekends. Upon returning home one Sunday evening, I was talking to a friend about my most recent little trip and they said something along the lines of, "Wow, you're gone all the time! You just don't sit still do you?" I pondered that statement for a while, and then I discovered a new found truth...I just don't believe in sitting still.

Sure, I know that sometimes all a person really needs to recooperate is a nice long nap, or some down time that involves gluing yourself to the couch and watching every chick flick in your movie collection. Trust me, I find plenty of time for this during my week. However, we sometimes fail to realize that there is a beautiful, vast world out there. This lovely planet that we live on has so much to offer. Don't you want to experience it?

Experiencing the world doesn't mean that you have to travel to foreign countries to appreciate the splendor of different sights and cultures. Sure, that is something that we all want to do, and I plan to do plenty of traveling outside of the U.S. myself someday. But the fact that you may not be able to do it right now shouldn't hinder you from having a little adventure in your life.

I believe in adventures, no matter how big or how small. I have full confidence that going for a walk in the park down the road will rejuvenate my spirit just as much as a stroll down the streets of London. I have no doubt that driving to the beach for the weekend, and sleeping on the floor of a friend's parent's house to make it cheaper, will result in just as many memories as staying at a five star resort in a large city. I know from experience that taking a day to explore a small town thirty minutes away can open your eyes to everything that the world, or even the state that you live in, has to offer.

You know that state park in the next county over that is supposed to have great hiking? Go visit it. Have a friend that lives a couple of hours away and has been begging you to come hang out? Make it a day trip. Want to go somewhere for the weekend, but you're short on cash? Go with friends, share costs, and cut corners until you can make it happen. Bored, but really can't afford to leave town? Take the day to visit places in your town that you have never been to.

Never let an opportunity to make memories pass you by. Say yes more than you say no. Travel when you can. Familiarize yourself with your own backyard. Take in as much of the world as you can. This is what our planet is here for...to help us grow and learn and gain experience from simply visiting familiar and unfamiliar places alike. Take advantage of your free time. Just go.

Truly,
Miranda

9 comments

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

I've been wanting to go hiking since this summer but kept failing to make it a priority. Thanks for the inspiring post. I'm going to make that a priority now. It's just silly that there are beautiful state parks near my bf that we never make it to.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I am such a homebody! If I got to many places it makes me nervous haha

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I'm a homebody like Jessica up there, I LOVE being home. I don't mind getting out now and then to explore but home is where I really want to be.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

yes, i'm one to always stay home but the days that i've actually broken out of my shell i've been pleasantly surprised and glad that i went.
-kathy
Vodka and Soda

emi said...

this is so well said. i think we are kindred spirit travel lovers! XO

the well-traveled wife ♥

A Life Less Traveled said...

I'm right there with you. I also exploring new places even in my own state.

Sam @ From East To West Coast said...

Now that I'm in a new city, I have the chance to go on so many new adventures! It's the best when you find a secret spot that not many people know about.

Rikki Rivera said...

now you're speaking my language :)

Racess Gungon said...

mayroon kabang gamit na gusto mong ibenta? post mona dito siguradong mabibili yan sa Anunsyo.ph

baka may hinahanap ka na gusto mong bilin? nandito din yan sa Anunsyo.ph

o baka gusto mo maaliw sa mga prank/funny/entertainment video at funny picture LIKE mo kami sa FB Social Video