My Newest Family Member

Good morning, everyone! Today, I have some really cool news to share. But, in order to understand it, you're going to have to meet someone first. Say hi to Benjamin!


Benjamin is my new little buddy. Isn't he precious? As of yesterday evening, I am responsible for this adorable guy. In a sense, my best friend Amber and I adopted him. Does this mean he will be coming to live with us? No, he will be staying in his home country. What it does mean though, is he will now have a lot of opportunities he didn't have before, and access to necessities that he couldn't always obtain. With the money that Amber and I send him every month, he is assured to have three meals a day, the clothing that he needs, the ability to go to school, and a promise of attending church services twice a week. He will also be eligible for full medical coverage, which is a huge blessing because he lives in an area of Africa that has a very high percentage of AIDS.

At the beginning of the holiday season, my church family took on the mindset of celebrating Christmas in a different way. As a group of Christians, we wanted to use the holiday season to not only give to others, but to help those who may be overlooked or don't have the option of helping themselves. Amazing things have been happening, and I have had the absolute pleasure of participating in a few different projects to benefit people here in our own community, as well as people like little Benjamin who live in extremely poor areas of the world. Benjamin is just the first of a couple of really amazing things that have been happening, and I can't wait to share the other things with you too!

Now, to share some more about my new little friend!


Benjamin lives in Ghana, and has been waiting for a sponsor through Compassion International for six months. When Amber and I decided that we wanted to share the cost of sponsoring a child each month, we had the opportunity to look through a giant stack of pamphlets, all with different sweet little faces on them. Something about Benjamin jumped out at us, and when we realized that he was on the priority list and needed an immediate sponsor, we knew we had found our new little brother!

Upon signing up to sponsor him last night, we were given a packet with all of his basic information. The representative told us that we would receive full information on him within the next couple of weeks, and even more exciting than that, within the next four weeks, he himself will be aware that he has two young women in the United States that cannot wait to be friends with him! Amber and I will have the opportunity to send translated letters and gifts to him, and we will even receive letters back from him. I cannot wait to tell him how much we already love and care about him. There are vast amounts of children in the world that have to spend every day without hearing a single encouraging or loving word. That is absolutely heartbreaking. Although a small step, helping even one of these kids just seems like a step in the right direction. Whether local, or overseas, children are important. There's no denying that.

 
Reading Benjamin's bio made me smile, because I can just imagine him running around and playing soccer with a smile on his face. At four years old, he is still just a baby, and I can't wait to see him grow and mature over the years. I'm looking forward to this experience, and I'm glad that the opportunity has been put into my path. This Christmas season is teaching me a lot, and I am beyond grateful for that.
 
I will be posting about Benjamin around her pretty often, since he is a new and important part of my life. I'm sure you guys will grow to love him right along with me! If you have any questions about Compassion International, or other child sponsorship programs, just leave me a comment or shoot me an email. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I am familiar with them, and if I can't give you the basic information I can point you in the direction of someone who can!
 
Truly,
Miranda

6 comments

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I love this!! He is so so cute! We sponsor two kids through compassion right now and the letters they send are so cute!!

Stephanie said...

Ah, you are such a wonderful person for doing this!!!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Benjamin is such a lucky kid, I'm proud of you and Amber for making a difference in a kids life!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

i LOVE this!! he's so cute. it's so awesome that you're making a difference in his life :)

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Aunie said...

YESS! Compassion international is SUCH a neat organization. So excited for you. What a gift you're giving him!

Sam @ From East To West Coast said...

This is so awesome!! This is something I'm totally interested in doing but never knew how.