Stop with the Comparison

"Comparison is the thief of joy."
-Theodore Roosevelt
 
This is one of the truest quotes ever spoken. It applies to so many areas of our lives...finances, material items, happiness, success...basically every part really. As human beings, we have the tendency to base our self worth off of the outward image of others. We are in a constant state of striving to be, do, and have more.
 
What area of my life do I struggle with comparison more than any other? What is the one thing that I compare to that of others day in and day out? My looks. My physical appearance. I have, and probably will always, base the value of my self image off of the those of other women. This should be hard to admit, but it really isn't. It's just a part of my life, and as sad as it is, I know that the majority of other women out there do the same thing.
 
It has become so "normal" for us to go out into the world daily and mentally place ourselves onto a pedestal next to every woman we come across. This makes it all too easy for us to pick ourselves apart, and say things like, "Oh, her hair is perfect. It makes mine look like bedhead," or "I will never be that stylish. I just look frumpy and lumpy." We become so focused on coveting the features and clothing of other women that we completely forget to appreciate everything that we have going for ourselves. This leads to self loathing, and ultimately, unhappiness.
 
Because of this, we wake up every day ready to push ourselves down instead of bring ourselves up. We begin to refer to ourselves in negative ways, cursing our skin or our hair or our bodies. Instead of getting dressed and thinking, "Wow, I am beautiful today," we are thinking "Well, you're looking disgusting today." As we zip our zippers and button our buttons, we are lecturing ourselves and convincing ourselves that we look terrible, when we should really be admiring how lovely and individualistic we are.
 
Everyone is beautiful.
 
We hear these words weekly, if not daily. Society has pressed so many unattainable ideas of beauty on us that we are more willing to accept the false notion that we are "unattractive" rather than love ourselves for who we are. "Everyone is beautiful," has become very hard for us to believe. Or, when we finally do begin to believe it, something happens that makes us think otherwise.

We need to stop with the comparison. We need to let go of constantly looking at ourselves next to our friends, or our sisters, or our cousins, or even complete strangers. Remember that out of the insanely vast amount of people on this planet, there is no one that looks exactly like you. How special is that? You are an original. Originality is such an amazing concept, and it simply cannot exist as long as comparison continues to take place. Embrace who you are, flaws and all. At the end of the day, you are gorgeous.

No two women are exactly alike. If you want to be "her," then who is going to be you? That's food for thought.

Three cousins. All different. All unique. All beautiful. No comparison necessary.
 
Truly,
Miranda

11 comments

Life of a Little Songbird said...

I love this post! Its so hard for women in todays world to not compare ourselves to each other. Its really sad. All we can do is try to love ourselves for who we are every day.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

yes to all of this!

if you don't love yourself, no one else can; i truly believe that.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

Stephanie said...

You are a wonderful and beautiful person inside and out!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I don't want to be anyone else but I wouldn't mind being a better me. There are women that do things or have qualities I admire and would like to replicate but with my own twist to make it me.

I found this quote the other day and I loved it:

"The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." - Steven Furtick

I think it fits the mood of your post!

Nadine Lynn said...

This is so true!!! We are our own worst enemy and comparing ourselves to others does us no good! Love this post!

Nadine Lynn said...

This is so true!!! We are our own worst enemy and comparing ourselves to others does us no good! Love this post!

The Peanut Program said...

well said miranda!!!! great post today.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

This is so true! My favorite thing to remember is "would you say about someone else the things you are thinking about yourself?" My answer is usually no, but it's still so hard to not compare myself to others!

P.S. You are beautiful inside and outside, just sayin ;-)

A Life Less Traveled said...

I love every word of this post. I struggle with accepting my looks and have for as long as I can remember.

Bekah @ re•solve said...

YES.

Rachael @ Pretty in Pink said...

I absolutely love this <3