1.30.2014

Beautiful Things


I have an obsession with the sky.

The camera roll on my cell phone is full of random snapshots of the sky. The morning sky, the evening sky, the night sky, stormy skies, sunny skies...you name it, it's captured on my phone somewhere. I especially notice the sunsets on my way home from work every day. Sometimes they are so perfect that I get antsy sitting at red lights, because I just want to get home, run upstairs, and grab my camera. It's always a good day when I can end it by standing outside of my house and sneak pictures of the day's last light.

I think it's the diversity that I am amazed by. We live underneath the same sky every single day and night, yet...it never looks the same twice. The colors always show in such a variety. Some days the palette is muted, full of deep blues and greys. Other days, it's full of bright yellows and pinks that seem almost neon at first look. Some days the sun shines hot and vibrant, forcing you to squint as you step outside. Other days, black clouds produce sheets of water that stretch as far as your eyes can see.

Taking time to seriously appreciate the many states of the sky always seems to put things into perspective for me. It reminds me that even when my problems are many, they are still only a small portion of what is going on in my world and the lives of those around me. It is a representation of all things that are beautiful. It is the promise of new days, and new experiences. The sky changes daily, just as our lives do. Some days it will be nearly perfect, and some days will be so grey that they are almost black. It is then our decision to either appreciate or disregard whatever we are given.

Most importantly, the sky reminds me of the mighty power of my God. How could I not trust my life in His hands when one of his greatest masterpieces stretches before me every second of every day? They sky is proof of His ability to make beautiful things from the dust.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us"
-Beautiful Things by Gungor
 
The picture at the beginning of this post was taken earlier this evening. I was going to dinner with some friends and I couldn't get over how bright and colorful the sunset was. It's kind of funny how a blurry cell phone picture can lead to an entire blog post about thoughts on the sky, ha ha. I guess that's another cool thing about the sky...it can bring out your creative side.
 
Have a great evening!
 

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

same here. sunset/sunrise are the most gorgeous times of the day.

kathy
Vodka and Soda

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I love taking pictures of the sky, it's a constantly changing canvas.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

What a beautiful pic! I love pretty skies, but then again, who doesn't?!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.