Calligraphy Rookie


My parents bought me the most amazing gift for Christmas...everything that I need to get started on mastering calligraphy. I was that nerdy kid in school that spent endless amounts of time perfecting their handwriting because I am a sucker for beautiful script. I have been wanting to learn the art of true calligraphy writing for a while now, and thanks to my mom's knack for picking out the most perfect and meaningful gift, I am on the road to becoming a professional calligrapher. Well, maybe not a professional...but a decent one!

I am beginning at the true basics. I have been going through and practicing the alphabet in each style. Writing these reminds me of being in elementary school and having to carefully print letters on that big, lined paper that rips every time you press too hard with your eraser. Just learning to hold the pen correctly is an adventure. Keeping it at just the right angle ensures that you are able to create the letters appropriately...using a combination of thick and thin strokes. I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult, but it definitely requires a steady hand, a lot of patience, and an attention to detail.


The picture above shows my first round of learning calligraphy. My lower-case letters are definitely in better shape than my upper-case ones. I have improved since this picture, but I am still searching for that perfect "flow" as I write. I am also working on figuring out exactly what size pen tips should be used for particular fonts. So much more goes into it than you would expect! But, being that handwriting nerd that I am, I'm perfectly okay with having to try and try again.
 
By the end of the year, I hope to be practiced enough to create my own typographies for gifts, and maybe even to sale in an Etsy store or something. I feel like that is definitely an attainable goal. Until then, I plan to share bits and pieces of my learning processes here on the blog!

Do any of you practice calligraphy?

9 comments

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

What an awesome present! I would love to learn calligraphy too. But I'm impatient and would probably have a hard time perfecting the craft.

Good luck! It looks like you are off to a great start!

Thirty Something Girl said...

Awesome. My handwriting is somewhat difficult to read sometimes, this would have been a great gift for me too. Have loads of fun with it. x

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I have the worst handwriting ever! My hands shake all the time, sometimes a little and sometimes a LOT. It makes for very sloppy writing most of the time.

I think opening and ETSY shop is a great idea, I think you could do it now with your other handwriting skills. :)

Amy said...

I would LOVE to learn calligraphy - some people are just so dang talented with it!
I think for your first attempt you did a lovely job!

Char said...

Oh wow, your caligraphy looks great! I could never do that~

ps I sent you an email about swapping buttons last night :)

http://www.lifesbettertogether.com/

Ashley said...

Omg, this is so cool!!! I've always wanted to learn to do calligraphy, but my handwriting itself is pretty bad so I figured it wasn't an option.

What an awesome gift!!!

Erin LFF said...

I practiced with a kid a lonnnng time ago, back in junior high, and I really loved it! But goodness, it's been forever since I've tried it again! It'll be fun to see your progress!!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

When I was younger I wanted to be able to do calligraphy so bad! Good luck with it!!

Steve Husting said...

Yes, I practice calligraphy. I've been posting my work on my web site now and then. I've joined the local calligraphy guild for more help and inspiration. Apple's app store has a couple of calligraphy apps that contain a video of every letter and number to help those who want video instruction. And I still have time for calligraphy!