1.02.2014

Dear 2014


Dear 2014,

Well...here you are, so much sooner than anyone could have expected! It's day two of your new job, and you're probably still really nervous because you know you have some gigantic shoes to fill. It's not going to be easy to prove yourself and put yourself on the same level as years that have already passed. I get it, it's a tough spot to be in.

I can sense that you are feeling some fear as well. I know you must be worried that you will be a year full of broken promises, unattained goals, increasing political strife, and other depressing things that are becoming so prominent as time goes on. Don't worry too much though, because I believe that you have the potential to be a blessing in a whole new way. I believe that you, 2014, can be a year of understanding and peace.

Let me fill you in on a little secret too...it's really not you who can control how you turn out. It's us...the people who have welcomed you so warmly, and the people that will be living in you during these next twelve months. And in order to really make you a positive thing, we have to work on ourselves first. We have to love ourselves, and respect ourselves enough to accomplish our goals that will go on to make a greater impact. I believe that this is the only way that you won't end up overflowing with broken "resolutions."

So, here's the deal. We are going to hold each other accountable. I'm going to share my dreams for your next twelve months with you...exclusively. I promise to uphold my end of the bargain as long as you are there to encourage me! During you, 2014, I want to:

Journal.
I began journaling my prayers in November of 2013, and oh how it has changed the way that I talk to God and think about prayer! Writing my prayers down allows me to better communicate with my Lord, because I tend to communicate my thoughts more freely and coherently through writing. I also love the idea of going back and reflecting on the things that were in need of prayer during certain times of my life. It's a win-win, positive situation.

Share something I am ashamed of.
Something life is teaching me, is that we can often make the biggest difference and help others by being open and honest about the skeletons in our closets. It's so easy to tuck our shames into a dark corner of our brains and never think about them. The problem with that though, is they are still going to surface every now and then, and the stress that you go through to deal with it really just isn't even necessary. Accepting, and even embracing the mistake, or disorder, or whatever you're ashamed of is going to make life so much easier. Therefore, I will be making a giant confession here soon, because it's time to do it.

Finish writing at least one of my "in progress" novels.
I am the queen of writing about five chapters of a book, and then getting distracted by a new idea and moving on...leaving portions of unfinished books lying in my wake. This year, I want to dedicate myself to actually completing a novel. It's a dream that I really need to focus on and make a priority.

Stop people pleasing.
This may initially sound like a bad thing, but it really isn't. I have this massive issue in my life, in which I am so worried about disappointing people that I will make myself miserable just to keep them happy. I want those that I love to be proud of me, but I also want to learn to be proud of myself. I want to learn to really listen to my heart, because a lot of times I will drown it out with the constant strife in my mind.

Find my calling...or at least catch a glimpse of it.
I discussed this some on Monday. I still haven't really found my purpose, as far as my career and my personal contribution to the world goes. I believe it's out there though. I just have to open my eyes wide enough to see it. 2014, can you be the year that this is possible?

There they are, all laid out in writing. I just shared my five most monumental dreams with you, 2014. I'm going to try my hardest to work towards these goals and make myself the best possible version of "me." There are many others who are doing the same, so there is no doubt in my mind that as long as this is happening across the world, you will most definitely be a successful, happy year.
Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I really want to write a book someday too but I always feel like my idea are never fully formed.

If you are a planning and organization person like me you should check out Story Engineering by Larry Brooks, it completely changed the way I thought about writing a book. His basic story outline is great and why I know the ideas I've had so far aren't "the one".

Stephanie said...

I've learned that trying to please everyone really only hurts yourself because you focus too much on them and not enough on you! Good luck!

Erin LFF said...

What a beautifully written post, girl! :) A huge goal of mine is to actually have my book ready to submit for publishing this year.. scary, but so exciting!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Oooo I cannot wait for you to finish a book!! And journaling your prayers, what a great idea!

The Rachael Way said...

Yes, being open and honest about all the things is the best ;)
oh, and you know that's how I blog, too!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

the only way to make yourself miserable is trying to please everyone else around you! you can't!! so i say make yourself happy and everyone will be happy too! (and those who complain can suck it)

kathy
Vodka and Soda

Kiki said...

I can already tell this year is going to be a good one for you, Miranda. Seriously. :)

As soon as I read your thoughts on being open and honest I wanted to shout a huge AMEN because you nailed it. When I started blogging from the heart, I noticed a huge change in my heart and also made incredibly close friendships with other bloggers, too. And as a writer/journaler, it felt wonderful to get things off my chest.

And I also love your goal to stop being a people-pleaser. I'm definitely a people-pleaser and it's hard for me separate the line of working to serve others and living to please others and get their approval.

Here's to 2014 and all the adventures and blessings that come with it! :)

Lauren @ The Albrechts Blog said...

I'm working on not people pleasing this year, too! It's going to be tough but SO GOOD for us!! Way to go, you have some great goals here!!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.