When it Rains...Rely

I honestly didn't think that I would get around to writing a post today. This weekend was rough, to say the least. 2014 is showing it's difficult side extremely early!

My plan to run errands and be productive has been ruined by yet another Florida thunderstorm. It is pouring outside right now, and I just don't feel like fighting the elements to go to Walgreens and the grocery store. So what have I been doing instead? Well, my extremely comfy bed and I have been having some quality hang out time, and I have been replying to blog comments from last week, and all sorts of other fun things. Therefore, I'm perfectly okay with the fact that it's flooding outside. (Unless the power goes out. Then I will be angry, because The Bachelor comes on in just over an hour and my roommates and I have a date to watch some Juan Pablo.)

The weather is actually really appropriate for how I have been feeling the past couple of days. We have all heard the saying, "When it rains, it pours." How undeniably true is that? Life never seems to allow just one single bad thing to happen at a time. It's typically more of a snowball effect...one bad thing will happen, then it leads to something worse, then that thing leads to something even more terrible...etc. This is a proven fact in terms of "undesirable events."

I really don't say this to be dramatic or all "Oh, woe is me..." I guess you could say that I'm just observing the trend. I won't lie though, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself earlier this morning. I was sad, I was defeated, and I was confused. But then, I remembered something:

I am the daughter of a God who loves me so much that it's almost incomprehensible.

Each time I have this thought, I am always astounded that I forgot about it in the first place.

When it's raining, God is grasping my hand tighter than ever before. He is guiding me around the puddles, ensuring that I don't take a fatal slip and fall to a point of hopelessness. He is holding an umbrella over my head, shielding me from the pelting sheets of doubt and fear. He is promising me that I will not only make it through the storm, but I will also find refuge in a shelter of faith and understanding. He is my comforter, my protector...my rock.

I didn't participate in choosing a word to live by for the year of 2014. I didn't feel it was really necessary...that is until one jumped into my lap and made itself known.

Reliance.

I couldn't have decided on a more perfect word if I had tried. My God wants to be there for me every single second, of every single day...through the good and the bad. He wants to guide me through the storms of life, and all He is asking in return is that I lean on Him and trust Him. He wants me to give up my own control...the control that is driving me crazy and making me stress, and RELY on Him and his comfort. How mind blowing is that? How great is that love?

Starting now, I am relying.

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future."
-Proverbs 31:25


6 comments

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

I hope things starting going better for you soon! As much as "it rains when it pours" that means once it stops pouring the sun will come back out. I love the word reliance - great pick!

A Life Less Traveled said...

I'm thinking of you and hope things get better for you.

The Rachael Way said...

Love that verse :) Keep your head up!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Stay strong girl! You already know I love your word of the year ;-)

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

The best thing about rain is the sunshine on the other side!

Stay strong and remember it's okay to be sad sometimes but better happier things are in store for you this year I know it!

Kiki said...

Beautiful analogy! I'm so glad you stopped yourself from attending your pity party of sorts--that's something I'm continually trying to do, too. :) Also, you are so right, we really do need to rely on Him. Not just in the easy times, but the hard times, too.