3 Tricks to Beating Trich

It has been a few weeks since I shared my trichotillomania story. During the few days that I was writing and publishing those posts, I had a lot of mixed emotions. I was nervous about sharing. I was relieved because I was finally getting it off of my chest. I was stressed about the outcomes. I was touched by the feedback. It was a rollercoaster of different emotions for me, but I am so glad that I finally admitted to it and talked about it publicly. I talked to a lot of people about the disorder...a couple of them even deal with it themselves. It was enlightening, and I have no doubt that I felt the need to share for a purpose.

The biggest negative outcome of talking about it though, was the fact that it actually kind of triggered me to pull more during those days. I guess the constant thinking and talking about it overpowered my self control, and I had to do a lot of battling within myself to get back on track. This led me to think a lot about the ways that I prevent myself from pulling on a daily basis; about all of the little tips and tricks that allow me to beat trichotillomania on a daily basis.


"Trichy" Tricks: Overpowering the Urge

1. Do anything possible to keep your hands busy.
Idle hands are a problem. I, along with many others who deal with trich, am a very fidgety/anxious person. When my hands don't have something to do, they tend to start messing with my hair. It will begin with twirling it or playing with it, and before I know it I will be searching for the perfect piece to pull out. My hands have to have something to do, whether that means writing or typing or texting, or even just twiddling my thumbs.

2. Hang out in groups.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my alone time. However, alone time can lead to boredom and mindless activities such as watching TV, and those types of things often lead to the urge to pull. I would say that the likeliness that I will pull hair out doubles, if not triples, when I am alone. If I am with friends or family, I'm not going to give in to the desire because it's something that would be obvious and awkward. Group conversations also keep my mind more preoccupied, so I don't think about pulling as much.

3. Encourage yourself.
It's easy to hate on yourself when you mess up. A lot of negative emotions can arise after a bad pulling session, and may ultimately lead to hatred of self. It's important to attempt to be a self motivator. Instead of saying, "Wow...idiot, you've done it again," try saying, "It's okay. This does not define me. I can beat this, and it doesn't make me any less of a person." Instead of tearing yourself down, build yourself up. Every morning, wake up and say, "Today is a new day, and I am a strong person."

I have some other tricks that I want to discuss in a later post, but I find that these are the most helpful. I hope that these can be a positive for anyone who may be dealing with trichotillomania and all of the troubles that come with it. Once again, please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have about the disorder.

Happy Tuesday!

6 comments

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

you're an inspiration, M, to me and others who struggle with self-control. i remember when i was going through my PPD, my OCD was at its highest and it literally paralyzed me. i'm so happy that you recognize/know what your triggers are and are working towards keeping them at bay. xoxox

-kathy | Vodka and Soda

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

I love #3. Being positive and not beating yourself up is important in all aspects of life. One bad day or bad hour doesn't ruin all the progress you've made (with trich or with anything in life, any goal).

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

These are all great tips, I love that picture of you! It's different than a lot of our other pictures.

Aunie said...

so good! Thanks for sharing these... I agree 100% about idle hands & support groups!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I love that you're sharing this with us, I bet other people with trich can really benefit from your openness!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I think it's great that you had the courage to write this! You never know who your story may be helping! Have you ever read the blog A Dash of Quirky? She discusses trich as well and her blog and herself is just amazing in general. :)I'll post her link! http://www.adashofquirky.com/