I Like Cheesy Music

Something completely embarrassing happened to me at work yesterday. No, it wasn't as humiliating as the time that I ripped my pants, but it did make my face turn red in a different way.

My musical choices lately have been a legitimate blast from the past. I go through phases where all I want to listen to is music from the absolute best years ever the 90's and early 2000's. Therefore, my favorite iHeart Radio station to listen to while at work lately has been the Savage Garden (AKA: highly cheesy music) station. Don't pretend like you don't know who Savage Garden is...because you definitely do. You just don't want to admit it. I will even stick a little video reminder here for you, so you can remember how much you want to dislike them but just can't.


This Savage Garden station plays a golden stream of music that is pleasing to any cheesy music lover's ears. Aside from the syrupy sweet serenades brought to you by Savage Garden, you will also hear music from Phil Collins, The Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, The Spice Girls, Shania Twain, Matchbox 20, Jewel...the list goes on and on. And I love the entire list. So, you can imagine my excitement when the opening notes to the cheesiest of cheesy songs began to play over my speakers at work yesterday. What song would this be?

 
Yep. Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On...straight out of Titanic that movie that most people love to hate, but I just love. My head immediately filled with thoughts of sinking ships and young, lost love and I just had to turn the volume up a little.
 
I'm usually very careful to keep the volume at a low level, because I do want to be respectful of my co-workers in neighboring offices...plus sometimes my musical choices are obviously a little embarrassing. However, I have also had an ear infection over the last few days so my left ear hasn't been too trustworthy in the art of detecting volume. Apparently the volume was louder than I thought, and about 3/4 of the way through My Heart Will Go On, my co-worker across the hall popped out of her office and started looking skeptically down the hallway.
 
I thought maybe someone was just talking too loud or not being courteous enough to close their door during a conference call, because that happens A LOT, so I just smiled at her and continued doing what I was doing and the song ended a few seconds later. Right as it ended she walked into my office and this conversation followed:
 
"I swear that I just heard Celine Dion playing somewhere, but I can't figure out where it was coming from. It was loud!"
 
"Oh...ha ha, that was actually me. Sorry, I didn't realize it was that loud."
 
"You like Celine Dion?"
 
"Um...yeah, I mean...she's okay. I don't know why she came on my radio station...but she did. Sorry again."
 
"I thought maybe the crazy girl down the hallway was the one listening to it. She likes all of that kind of music. But, it was you so the mystery is solved."
 
And then she turned around and left. My face was beet red and burning up...first of all because I had been caught loudly and willingly listening to Celine Dion. And second of all, I had been compared to the office crazy girl. Those are two things that jus don't happen every day.
 
Savage Garden and I partied on low, low volume for the remainder of Monday.

Did I mention that Bryan Adams is also a frequent on this station. I LOVE BRYAN ADAMS. His music makes me want to melt into a puddle on the floor. So, I will leave you with one last cheesy song from the king of mush-worthy music.


Happy Tuesday, stay positive, and be weary of your office music choices...unless you're okay with being compared to the girl down the hall who prides herself in her knife fighting skills more than anything else.

11 comments

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I do not miss the closeness of office life. Crazy office people make the day entertaining from time to time, it's okay to be her once and a while. :)

Stephanie said...

I love all this music!!! :)

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Aw. I would have been beet red too! I know you have an ear infection now so this wouldn't work, but when I do listen to music, I use earbuds. Although then you can't hear if people are sneaking up on you to ask a question ha.

Nadine Lynn said...

I LOVE 90's and earlier 2000 music. That is my high school and college days and it brings back so many happy memories. Plus, it is awesome regardless, duh! You can find me rocking out to all of it in my car on my way to and from work EVERY day!

Aunie said...

ha! that savage garden video. brings back so many memories!

lil desiqua said...

This is definitely all my favorite music!! And um, I totally ripped my jeans last week... but luckily I was just babysitting an 8 month old, so I wasn't too embarrassed! I feel your pain though- LOL at the Spongebob undies!

Yasmeen TMA said...

Hahaha this totally reminds me of me! I don't really listen to music but when I do it's most old school, sometimes cheesy. Great post :)

Yasmeen x
http://themirroraffects.blogspot.co.uk

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

bahahaha this is so me!! I always listen to all that cheesy music, and poor Brian has to listen to me belt out all the Backstreet Boys and Celine Dion in the car.. I'm surprised he can even stand me!

Cori @ Everyday Enchanted said...

I was obsessed with Savage Garden in high school! I think I need to start listening to this Pandora station! haha!

Chantel Klassen said...

Haha, I used to have Savage Garden on tape!!! Gotta admit, I still like that song. :)

Tori said...

omg truly madly deeply came on the radio the other yesterday, and I reached for the button to switch channels, but instead listened (and sang along to) the whole song. it was glorious