Being Fiscally Responsible

I've never been someone who understands money.

There...I admitted it to myself. I'm not going to lie, it was a little difficult to type those words. I consider myself a very responsible, organized person, and admitting that I am completely clueless about money management makes me feel like the complete opposite of that. It shouldn't. But it does. Or, I guess I can now say that it did.

Ever since I graduated high school, money has literally controlled my life. I worked my way through college, and I learned really quickly that there never seems to be enough money to cover what you need to cover. 99% of the time I would not have enough money to take care of my monthly expenses, and when I did miraculously have enough, I would have $0.75 left in my account to last me for a week and a half until my next pay day. That's not a good feeling.

After college graduation, I landed my first full-time, all benefits included job. I thought that would for sure be the end of my financial hardships. I just knew that I would be on the road to fortune. (Okay, maybe not fortune...but what would feel like a fortune to me.) Imagine my surprise when I found myself having just as much, if not more difficulty paying my bills than I did before. Sure, I was making more money. But I had also accumulated more expenses, especially after I went through all of the doctor's appointments and surgery for my gallbladder issues. I eventually found myself in a pretty deep hole. I was worried. I was tired. I was completely sick of being worried about money.

It took me entirely too long to realize that I needed help in learning how to point my income in a positive direction. As I have mentioned a couple of times, I have finally done that. Over the past couple of months I have been learning how to budget. I have been learning how to save. I have been learning how to pay off debt. And you know what? It's working! It's really and truly working.

When I logged into my bank accounts today, I noticed that the balance in my checking account had dropped drastically. Last week, I wrote checks to pay off nearly $1,000 in medical debt. Normally I would be upset to see that so much money had left my account, but I actually got excited. You know why? Because I had paid off a good chunk of debt...and I still had money left in my account. Not only that, but right below my checking balance was a really comfortable savings balance...the first savings amount that I have EVER had. That was a truly great feeling.

I am taking control of my money, and by doing that, I am also taking control of my future. A giant weight has been lifted off of my chest, and I am so excited and motivated that sticking to a strict budget is actually becoming an easy thing to do.

Now, excuse me while I go celebrate.

Via Google

6 comments

❤Liz said...

I'm so proud of you!!

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Good for you! Budgeting is really hard. I'm still working on it

Halie @ Life in the Sunshine said...

You go girl! We just started the Dave Ramsey course on Tuesday night, so we're looking forward to being able to do stuff like this too in our future. Can't wait to shake off some of our debt!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Yayyy go you! I'm still adjusting my budget but it's much easier now. With Tyson's promotion and raise we are finally bringing in more than we did when we lived in Charlotte!

That was goal is just took a little longer than I thought it would.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Girl you rock!! Brian and I are starting to get into the budgeting thing, especially with this new house purchase and all; it's way harder than I expected though!!

A Life Less Traveled said...

Managing money is tough. Good for you for making positive steps forward with your money.