3.31.2014

Hilary Duff + Girl Power

Saturday night, my roommates and I came across Raise Your Voice on TV. Did we actually watch it? You better bet your bottom dollar that we did! The three of us sat glued to the screen, reciting lines from memory, talking about how Hilary Duff is actually not the great singer that we remember her being, and also about what a cutie Oliver James was. Whatever happened to him, by the way? After Raise Your Voice and What a Girl Wants he just fell off the face of the planet.

Anyway...back to the point of this post, which I'm still not really sure of, but I will figure it out along the way. Watching this movie brought back such a flood of memories and feelings from my teenage years. The sight of Hilary Duff has a way of doing that, because I automatically think about the amazingness that was Lizzie McGuire, all of her awesome chick flicks, and her CD's that I was positive should have went platinum. (They never did...still upset about that.)

Via Google
Hilary Duff revives the girl power in me. I feel like the "girl power" mindset was the driving factor of most young women in the early 2000's. It made us feel like we could do literally anything that we wanted to. Nothing was impossible. Just look at Hilary...she showed us that you can go to Rome on a class trip, meet a cute guy, and perform in an international pop show. She also showed us that you can conquer these types of things by just being yourself...regardless of if you're a little awkward or whatever your downfall is.

Via Google
Somewhere on my journey of growing up, leaving the early 2000's, and leaving flare leg jeans behind, I have forgotten what it feels like to be inspired by little things such as Hilary Duff and girl power. And, honestly, that's just what happens as we age. Life gets hectic and complicated, and eventually the last thing that we are worried about is how confident we feel about our daydreams. I think that's why my roommates and I got so excited over finding that movie on TV. For a couple of hours, we were reminded of that "take on the world" feeling. We were reminded of the songs, and the movies that made us feel like we really are worth something.

Via Google
After the movie ended, I came up to my room to look up Fly by Hilary Duff on YouTube. It's a song that I haven't listened to in probably about five years, but when it popped into my head I knew I had to find it. This song was such a positive influence for me when I was a teenager. It always lifted my spirits, and made me feel like I could go out and kick some serious butt. Let's be honest, even as adults, we still need to feel like that sometimes. We want to be able to feel fierce and driven. Just because we are getting older doesn't mean that we have to forget what it feels like to be self-empowered and excited about life.


So today, I encourage you to get back in touch with your Hillary Duff girl power. Temporarily forget about all of the crap in your life, listen to this song, and take the time to dance around your room with a hairbrush microphone in hand. Heck, you can even go really old school and pretend like you are filming a music video. I mean...what are you talking about? I never did that. (I'm completely lying.)

Peace, love, and girl power. Happy Monday!

Duh! Danae said...

Love me some Hilary Duff! Gonna have to go download some of her music!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Hey look it's old me here and I've never seen or heard of this movie, big surprise.

Girl power is one of the top things I try to teach Little K, the only thing I tell her she can't do as a girl is play football. Ugh I can't imagine my 35lb 4 year old on the football field with big stinky boys. She thinks it looks like fun, I think it looks like the death of her.

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Aw this is so cute! You're right: as adults we do still need to be reminded of that "take on the world" feeling. Loved this. I needed it today :)

Margaret said...

LOVE Hilary Duff! And Lizzie McGuire...now that was a good show.

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

I love Hilary Duff. Watched all her shows/movies and had all her albums. Good times. Love that you were reminded about girl power from it too. We could use a little more girl power in today's pop culture!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I loved Lizzie McGuire and A Cinderella Story. I never saw Raise Your Voice! However I was a bit jealous of Hilary back in the day because she dated Aaron Carter and I loved him! Apparently he's a weirdo now though and says he misses her and is dedicating his life to get her back now that her and her husband have split!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I miss Hilary Duff jams!!!!!

Hallie Oceanside said...

Ohhh Hillary Duff,
I need to itunes this girl.It's been forrrreves!

Lauren said...

Hilary Duff was my favorite (her songs still are!!!) :-)

Life of a Little Songbird said...

Aw this takes me back! Absolutely loved What A Girl Wants & Raise Your Voice! & yes what happened to the adorable Oliver James?! Love his voice!

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.