More Adventures in Calligraphy

It's been a couple of months since I have talked about anything to do with my calligraphy learning experience here on the blog. I have been occasionally dabbling in it since the beginning of the year, and I'm realizing that just as it is with any other hobby, it's important and actually pretty crucial to "find your own style."

A lot of the literature and how-to's addressing calligraphy are very stuffy. What I mean by stuffy is, they basically say, "you must do it this way and only this way or it's not considered calligraphy." The practice of calligraphy is extremely old, so of course there are going to be some specifics as far as hand positioning and stroke angles go. And, as I have been learning the basics I have been following them pretty religiously. However, as I am becoming more comfortable with the concepts, I feel more and more okay with slightly adjusting things in order to add my own personal touch.

On top of using the pens, I have also been giving the Calligraphy markers a try. I don't think I like them as good as the pens, but they do have their advantages. I still have issues with the ink flow of the pens stopping mid-stroke, and you don't have to worry about that with the markers. Still, they dry out fairly quickly and the overall look just isn't as nice as the actual ink from the pens.

Overall, I really enjoy it, and I look forward to further improvement and eventually creating some things to potentially put in an Etsy store. I have some ideas that I can't wait to try! I will leave you all with some pictures that I took during my latest calligraphy fest. Happy Thursday!






7 comments

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Looking good!! What you said about learning the basics then adding your own flare really made me think, thank you so much for that!

I've been scared to try my new DSLR in manual mode there's so much to think about I had no idea where to start. I should start with the basic principles and as I get more comfortable I can add my own unique perspective. So what if I end up with a bad picture at least I tried!

Princess Burlap said...

I have always wanted to try out calligraphy but it seems so daunting. Good on you for being bold, and it looks great!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Looks great girl! I totally think you should be able to add your own touches to it!

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

I would love to get better at calligraphy! Looks like your progress is going great. Good luck!

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

I used to dabble in calligraphy when I was in middle school. The other kids made fun of me for it until the teachers started asking me to do all the writing on flyers. haha

It's looking great!

Amanda said...

How fun! What a cool hobby to try. It looks good!

Halie Pullen said...

I really want to learn calligraphy too! Right now, I'm teaching myself how to get better at "doodling," so maybe once I'm ready to move on from that, I'll give this a go finally! You look like you're off to a good start though here :)

P.S. - I'm finally back to the blogging world, after basically a 6 month hiatus! Yay! new blog though, so you should come check that out :)