3.17.2014

So You Want to Quit Soda? Part 2.

*Click here to read part 1.
 
 
Part 2
 
Last week, when I wrote part one of this guide, I was on day 37 of quitting soda. Today, as this post goes live, I am on day 44. Day 44...I just love seeing that number increase! I also love being able to say that I am overcoming an addiction...successfully, might I add!
 
In part one of this guide, I talked about deciding why you want or need to give soda a swift kick to the curb. This week, I'm going to tell you everything that you should know before you actually begin to make the attempt to cut it out of your life. I know...that sounds a bit dramatic. But trust me, you don't really understand how important something is to you until you deprive yourself of it. That is a lesson that is quickly learned.
 
3 Things to Expect When Quitting Soda
 

1. The craving is real.
You know the saying, "you always want what you can't have?" This is not some lie that your parents fed you...it's the truth, people. Think about it. What do you want when your on a diet? Junk food, carbs...fried things. What do you want when your favorite store is having a giant sale? The one thing that is still full price. What do you want when you're trying not to drink soda? Coke, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper...and LARGE ones. There will be times during the week that soda is literally all you can think about. And you're going to want to give in...but you are stronger than that. Cravings are scary, but they don't have to win.

2. The headaches are not a myth.
Whenever you deprive your body of something it is used to, it's going to react...usually in a negative way. When you don't sleep, you get bags under your eyes. When you don't exercise, you lose tone and gain weight. When you don't pump caffeine and sugar into your system in the form of soda, horrific headaches occur. Don't worry though, these can be cured with a little Ibuprofen if necessary. Something else that helps me is eating a piece of hard candy. Just one piece seems to be helpful, and it keeps me from making an emergency trip to the vending machine.

3. You will probably be grumpy.
The lack of sugar and caffeine in your system, combined with not allowing yourself to have something you enjoy, is going to lead to a bit of moodiness. Especially during the first week or so. Realizing that you can't have a Coke with your Jimmy John's, or you can't run to the office café for a fizzy pick-me-up will make you feel ridiculously sorry for yourself. If you can just stick it out though, that ends. With each passing day, grumpiness is slowly replaced a sense of pride in yourself. You will become happier and happier that you are being true to your goals.

These may seem scary to begin with, but I can assure you that going through each of these is completely worth it as time goes on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and in this case, healthier and happier!

Next week will be the final part of my little guide. I will be discussing the steps that I have taken, and that have worked for me to get to this point.

What difficulties have you experienced when trying to kick an addiction?
Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

The headaches were the hardest part for me when I gave up Pepsi, now it gives me one if I drink it!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

ugh, i swear, i think coca cola puts heroin in their products! in fact, i think all junk food companies do just so you keep coming back because YOU HAVE TO!

keep it up!

-kathy | Vodka and Soda

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Yes on the being grumpy and having cravings. I have this with soda and other bad habits (even nail biting). It's a lot harder for me to kick bad habits when I'm in a bad mood :-/

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

The headaches were definitely the worst part for me. Luckily, they only stuck around for a couple of days. Congrats on 44 days!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Headaches for SURE!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I just could not give up sodas for the headaches alone! I usually HAVE a soda to get rid of a headache lol

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.