3.27.2014

So You Want to Quit Soda? Part 3.



After discussing why you should quit soda, and the things you should know before attempting to quit, I have finally reached the end of this little guide. As of today, I am 52 days into nixing my addiction to sugary beverages. It is going better than I could have ever imagined, and after I have failed so many times attempting the same endeavor in the past, I am feeling amazing to be almost two months into my goal. So for the final part of this little guide, I have decided to share:

Quitting Soda: Steps to Success

1. Find ways to stay motivated from day 1.
There are a couple of ways to go about doing this. First of all, you need to encourage YOURSELF. Remind yourself that this is possible. Remind yourself of all of the reasons that you wanted to do this in the first place. Place supportive notes and reminders in places you will see them...on your mirror, on your computer, etc. It is also helpful to have an accountability partner. My roommate Amber and I went into the process together, and checked in on each other daily to see how it was going.

2. Be competitive. 
I did this with the number game. Every day that I went without a soda, I would add to the number. For example, I woke up this morning and said, "Today is day 52 of no soda." Watching the number rise puts you into a competition with yourself, and you strive to make that number grow higher and higher. It makes you feel successful, especially when the number reaches the double digits. 

3. Quit cold turkey.
For the first 20 days, I was completely soda free. I didn't even have so much as a sip. I didn't even tempt myself with it. Not allowing myself to have it for that decent period of time seemed to break the dependency on it. The cravings were terrible for about the first 10 days, but every day after that it became easier and easier. 

4. After the cold turkey phase, set boundaries.
After that 20 days, I made a decision to allow myself to have one soda a week. This way, I was able to teach myself how to consume it in moderation. In the 52 days that I have been quitting, I have had approximately five sodas. A couple of them were well enjoyed, but I actually haven't even been able to finish the entire drink on most occasions. And believe it or not, while I used to get headaches from lack of soda, I have found that I actually get them from drinking it now. It's so strange, but I like it!

5. Bring water everywhere.
I carry my FSU Tervis with me everywhere I go. This way, I am putting water into my body when I get thirsty. Since I have a drink with me at all times, I don't get so tempted to buy a soft drink or some other drink that I don't need. Plus, I find that this also makes it easier for me to drink the recommended amount of H2O every day. Overall, carrying water around is a win-win situation.

There you have it...the five super simple steps that have made this possible. Quitting soda has allowed me to prove a lot of things to myself, and even at 52 days in, I am feeling the health benefits. When I reach 100 days, I plan to do a post on all of the changes that have occurred. Overall, I am definitely happy that I have made this decision. 

Will you be quitting soda anytime soon?

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I can't give up my one Vernors a day, there is no caffeine in it so I'm only sucking down half a bag of sugar. :)

Health, Love & Fire said...

I read all there quitting soda posts this morning and told my husband that I am going to do it! I know I need to drink more water and if I can cut out starches I can totally cut out soda! Thanks for inspiring me girl!! Do you drink anything besides water that helps keep you from wanting soda or something sweet?

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I really really really do need to do this! I do drink enough water though so that's a good thing I guess.

Jenn Goodall said...

I really need to try to do this, so badly , not sure if i can do it haha

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.