4.03.2014

The Packing Struggle: An Inner Monologue

My friends...I am in a phenomenal mood today! I am taking the day off tomorrow, so today is technically my Friday. Why did I take tomorrow off, you ask? Well...my roommate Amber and I are taking a little mini vacation down to the St. Petersburg area. We are going to have three days full of sun, sand, beach time, and deep sea fishing. And the best part of it all? Absolutely no stress or anxiety is invited! We are leaving as soon as both of us get off work today. Excited is an understatement right now. I am so looking forward to it. 

Last night, as I was getting stuff ready for the trip, I had a thought. That thought was this: While I love traveling and going on trips, I sure do hate to pack for them. Seriously, is there anyone out there who gets some sort of strange pleasure out of packing? The worry of forgetting something, combined with the attempt to not over-pack, is just infuriating! As women, I feel like we have some pretty crazy thoughts while we are packing bags for trips. So, I thought I would share a little of my crazy today. Here is a little look inside of "packing brain."


Oh my gosh Miranda, tomorrow is your Friday! Are you excited?! Even better...in less than 48 hours you will be on the beach! 

Let's go to the beach-each...oh wow, I love that Nicki Minaj song. I should listen to it while I pack...I need some music to entertain me anyway! 

*Grabs laptop to look up Nicki Minaj song and gets distracted by YouTube for 20 minutes.*

Oops...okay, that's enough funny cat videos, I really need to pack. 

*Opens closet*

What bag should I use? The green suitcase? The purple duffle bag? Probably the purple duffle...the suitcase is too big. Now, where is it? Oh...it's on the stinking top shelf? I can't reach up there without the step stool. But the step stool is all the way downstairs. Maybe if I stand on my tippy toes...

*Knocks a million things off of the middle shelf*

Okay, I guess I'll just go get the stool. 

*Runs downstairs and comes back to retrieve the duffle bag*

Okay, great. Now, what all should I pack? I need lots of laid back beachy clothes, but I also need some nicer clothes. Wait, where are my khaki shorts? I really need those. Oh, that sundress is dirty too? Am I really going to have to do laundry? I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO LAUNDRY. But that new shirt is dirty too and I really want to take that. UGH...I guess I will do the laundry. 

*Flops down on the bed and spends twenty minutes thinking about starting laundry before finally starting it*

Well, what else can I pack besides the stuff that is being washed? Where are all of my shorts? Maybe I can take some that I haven't worn in a while. Oooohhh...I love these! I completely forgot about them. I wonder if they still fit?

*tries shorts on*

Score. New summer, same old shorts. Which means no weight gain. That's a good thing, right? Too bad my legs are so white though. Hopefully they will get some sun this weekend. 

Oh! I need sunblock. I think it's under the sink. I have four different bottles of sunscreen...why do I have four different bottles? Oh well, I will just take whatever one smells the best. 

*Flips open sunblock and squirts sunscreen in eye while attempting to smell it*

Holy....cow! That stuff burns. It's like acid! Is this stuff even safe to put on your body? Seriously...oh my gosh. 

Do I need any shoes besides sandals? I hope not. I refuse to wear anything that isn't a sandal this weekend. So glad I got a pedicure last week. Wait, is my pedicure chipping already? Is this for real? I paid $30 for my nails to chips just a few days later? Why does nail polish even chip? Does it have to be inevitable? Maybe I'll invent some sort of new super nail polish that NEVER chips. That could be sort of gross though. Nevermind. 

Ugh...where is that t-shirt at? No, I don't want to take one of my other hundred tees...I want this particular one. Wait, did my music stop? How long has it been off? I can't function without some sort of background noise. 

*Surfs on YouTube for another 20 minutes and sees an ad for toothpaste*

Oh wow, I haven't even began to think about toiletries! I need shampoo and conditioner and my toothbrush and toothpaste and face wash and body wash and leave-in conditioner and sea salt spray and makeup. And deodorant. And perfume! Do I need a razor? Should I take one just in case?

*Looks down at legs*

My legs are prickly! When did that happen? Ugh...this means I'm going to have to shave tonight or in the morning. I DON'T WANT TO. It's not even summer yet and I'm tired of shaving. Maybe I won't worry about it for this weekend...the beach won't be crowded, right? It's okay for them to get a little prickly. Oh, who am I kidding? Just shave your legs, Miranda. 

Maybe I'll just pack after my laundry is done. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Actually, I'll just do it in the morning. Oh perfect, I'll be much more productive early in the morning, right? 

*Drops empty duffle bag on the floor*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks, please tell me that I'm not the only person who has this problem. Don't worry though, my bags got packed...eventually. It's just so hard. So hard. 

I'm signing off for the weekend! Don't worry though, I do have a new Fiction on Friday segment scheduled to post tomorrow. Make sure to come check out what happens with Riley and Cody! Happy Thursday. :)

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Ahh I am super jealous, but like I said, send me lots of snaps so I can live vicariously through you! Sorry that you have to shave hahaha and I can't wait for Fiction on Friday! Have a great long weekend :-)

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

so awesome! i love st.petersburg.

i have to make a list before i pack and then start packing a week before we actually leave. if i don't do this, i'll carry that "omg i forgot something!" feeling the whole time and it's just an awful feeling, right?

-kathy | Vodka and Soda

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

I remember the days of packing for one, now I pack for two and sometimes 3.

I get it done but my internal conversation is much the same as yours. When I'm done I'm always sure I've forgotten something too.

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

bahahahahaha I'm so glad I'm not the only with internal dialogue like this!

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

I'm jealous but still excited for YOU! haha :)
"Oops...okay, that's enough funny cat videos, I really need to pack." Awesome!

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

haha this is perfect! I'll admit I like packing. I do get stressed out about forgetting something but the anticipation of a trip makes me giddy. Have fun on your mini-vacation. :)

Rach @ This Italian Family said...

Hahaha! This cracked me up! I would totally squirt myself in the eye smelling sunblock too, haha! You're going to think I'm crazy, but I love to pack! I think it's just because I know that I'm about to go somewhere awesome so packing becomes fun for me. :)

Dawn @ Life in the Sack said...

I pack, then repack at least twice. And my hubbie causually reminds me that I am not going to timbuktoo and they have stores where I am going. Which leads to a argh, but what if they don't have the perfect sandals like these. Which of course results in a well put those in the suitcase and you won't have to buy any. Oh the joys of packing. Enjoy your fun in the sun!!!

Bekah @ re•solve said...

awww! I'm the opposite! I pack like a month early because it means I'm going somewhere! have an awesome trip!

Kelly @ [Big Apple, Little Bites] said...

Haha, too funny. I wait until the last minute to pack usually.

Have such a wonderful time! :)

© My Restless Soul. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.